Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am an middle school principal in the NYC department of education.

I am an middle school principal in the NYC department of education. I am harrassed and belittled at meetings by a parent. The parent is a well known parent leader who is appeased by the department of education and the chancellor. She expects special attention and considerations that sometimes are not allowable. When I do not provide her with what she wants, she sends lengthy, misleading missives with glimmers of the truth to the chancellor, supterintendent and other senior officials. Everyone realizes that she uses harrassment tactics, but allows it because they are affraid of her. What can I do to end the harrassment?
Hi

I am sorry to hear of this situation for you. I know it is frustrating to have someone be so manipuative.

Please tell me what have you done to try to end this?

What happens when these folks get her complaints?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have seeked advice and assistance from my union-Council of Supervisors and Administrators. I have sought the advice from our legal department and Superintendent. Our legal department only handles internal harrassment issues. My superintendent met with me and the parent-Bad Idea! She refused mediation and refused to speak to me during the meeting only the supt. She said that she planned to do everything in her power to have me removed from the school-it needed better leadership.

I have countless emails where my supervisors scurry to appease her since the chancellor acknowleges her litany of complaints on a daily basis. She extends her wrath to anyone who does not immediately provide her with what she asks...including my superiors.

Hi

I am sorry to hear you are having to endure this situation. And since the internal employment routes are not going to be of help your legal option is to

1 - Write her a letter (more effective if it comes from a local attorney on letterhead) and tell her she must immediately cease and desist these comments because she is doing it only with an intent to harm your reputation and she knows what she is saying are untruths. The letter should state that should she continue you are prepared to file a defamation lawsuit against her

This letter needs to be mailed certified with a return receipt requested and as I stated much more effective if it comes from a local attorney.

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask. I look forward to a follow up or your Good to Excellent rating.

Thank you and good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your great advice. I do not think it will stop her. She is an unemployed social services recipient. I dont think she has too much to lose and much more to gain by defaming me.

Hi

I see.

Yes, no sense in proceeding with a case where the juice is not worth the squeeze.

I am sorry there are no other options.

If she threatens your wellbeing and safety then I suggest maybe a restraining order.

But you would have to be in imminent fear of your life

Thank you and good luck