Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

In 1971 while an Undergrad Psy Major at UM Dearborn, I entered

In 1971 while an Undergrad Psy Major at UM Dearborn, I entered into a verbal agreement with a Professor there (in consort with two advisors, in Experimental Psychology and Philosophy) to help develop an original psychological concept/convention of my own that he agreed had sufficient perceived merit to warrant research and study on a fairly large scale. Personal tragedy intervened for me, and his solemn oath of silence prevailed for better or worse and he has long since passed.

Briefly put, these "lost ideas" deal specifically with identifying sociopathy in small children WITHOUT infringing on individual rights. They are techniques which could be verified or disproved with appropriate research. What I anticipated, to some degree, were tragedies re Sandy Hook or Boston - involving our legal inability to effectively assess such potentials until it really is, too late.

I recently confided this, and most of the theory involved, to a trusted friend who is a recognized, published and influential active Psychiatrist in the State of Michigan. He stated, AFTER the color came back into his face, "Yes, these are completely new ideas, still - this has not been covered - and really needs to be, soon." He referred me to Oakland University, saying they had just started a Med School, and gave me a contact name. My obvious question, do I have any potential IP rights, considering the potential financial risks for them, etc.? I am 65 years old and every ounce the altruist, but still feel as though I may be giving something away which I shouldn't. A feeling this man also supports with reservation - he says he genuinely feels it potentially too important to sit on any longer, for any reason, especially given the inescapable Topicality. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I am far from an IP specialist in my practice, but I know enough to tell you that telling others your thoughts on a subject without first publishing them provides you no legal rights. So you are right about giving something away which perhaps you shouldn't. Especially if you expect to receive credit for the ideas from whoever develops and writes about them in professional journals and the like. I will be away from the computer until Sun. p.m.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would any dated, notarized and possibly sealed (from the public) presentation do, especially considering that general dissemination could compromise research (yes, it really could). You are doing well with me (not your average client, Eh?If you need more compensation that is fine within reason.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you later this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I am out of town and away from my computer. in particular, what are you trying to accomplish by way of intellectual property law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully credit someday for saving lives, a book, modifying "CPI" type training for elementary school Teachers. And I could just use something for retirement - not that I've done badly, but the tragedy I mentioned has lasted most of my lifetime. No need to elaborate. I need to know how to proceed without being compromised. IF you can offer such sufficient detail, I assure you I can (and will) pay for it. You have been helpful, I assure you.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Thanks for your patience. Generally, a copyright occurs as soon as you publish something. That simply protects you from someone copying your ideas and claiming them as their own. Some people (I'm told, since this is not what I work in) mail it to a Journal or Newsletter or even a newspaper as on op-ed piece. On-line blogs could be used. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091006111601AAji2nk But you don't wish to make the information public for security reasons, so you might have to mail it to a trusted associate by certified mail, and also mail it to your self, keeping the post-marked envelope unopened forever. Also, if you have created a specific item that you wish to charge for or to license the use of and make money from it, then you will probably want to formally register a federal copyright. Here is another very general article on the subject. http://horizon.unc.edu/projects/resources/intellectual_property.asp . There are many websites that discuss IP protection. One suggestion I have is that you should obtain confidentiality agreements from anyone you intend to discuss this project with, before engaging them in such discussion. See: http://www.startupnation.com/business-articles/910// For whatever it's worth, my good friend, a clinical psychologist with over 40 years experience, read your first e-mail and replied: "This might be too good to be true." From her, I would call that encouraging. I don't know if this is getting you where you need to go. I hope it's useful. I'll stand by and I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney