BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

Hi. I have written a childrens book based on the meter of

Hi. I have written a children's book based on the meter of Frosty the Snowman. Is it okay to write a snowman book with the same meter as the frosty book/song as long as the illustrations look nothing like Frosty and the story doesn't mention frosty? I am specifically asking if the meter of that story is copyrighted?

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

BizAttorney :

The book would be fine so long as you don't use the phrase Frosty the Snowman. However, the song is copyrighted.

BizAttorney :

It was written in 1950 by Walter “Jack” Rollins and XXXXX XXXXX, the song was first recorded by Gene Autry and the Cass County Boys. Autry was chosen to be the first to record the song following the success of recording of “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”. “Frosty the Snowman” is published by Warner-Chappell as well. If you use the meter, then you will have to pay the copyright owner money for using it.