Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

The real estate attorneys office prepared a Power of Attorney

The real estate attorney's office prepared a Power of Attorney for me to take to another state to be signed by my partner who will not be able to attend the closing on our house on Tuesday. When I just now looked at it carefully, I noticed for the first time that they had typed in "xx" (the state where the closing is happening) for the notary's s state, when the document will actually be signed and notarized in xx. If the notary crosses out "xx" and substitutes "xx" will that invalidate the document? It is too late to get it changed,as I am leaving tomorrow morning.

Dear PLCUSTOMER - It should not be a problem. The notary will have a stamp for his or her commission in xx and can easily cross out the xx and insert xx. This happens all the time as most of these POA's are on a computer and are simply printed off and not changed to reflect a different state or county. I doubt you should have any problem but in a worst case scenario the POA could always be retyped with the correct state. I have never had a problem changing something like this and the notary's stamp or seal and signature are what is important.