Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a summons from a business owner where my stepdaughter

I have a summons from a business owner where my stepdaughter worked and charged over $2000.00 to myself and my wife. I don't recall opening a charge account with them and never charged antthing myself. There are no charge slips signed by myself or my wife. She never had our permission to charge anything in our name. I assume she opened an account in our name when she was an employee to the business.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You have the right to deny that you owe this debt and also to demand strict proof that you did. You have a right to demand proof of your signature on any ticket, agreement, purchase order, etc. if that can't be proven, the. You should not be held responsible for the debt.

This may result in your stepdaughter being sued or even criminally charged for fraud or forgery if you didn't open this account or make any charges to it.

However, you do need to appear and respond in order to prevent a default judgment from being entered against you.