How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American male living in Japan. I am recently divorced

Customer Question

I am an American male living in Japan. I am recently divorced from a Japanese National. While married we purchased a home. Upon signing of the loan documents, I (being a foreigner) was not able to sign any of the documents for the loan. My wife had signed everything. The only documents that I signed where stating that I am her husband. My name was NOT on the loan agreement. Now that we are divorced, I was denied any custody of our two children, but my ex wife told me that she is going to take me to "High Court" in Japan, and make me pay for the remainder of the loan. Keep in mind, this is now 4 months AFTER the divorce paperwork was signed as a "Mutual Agreement" divorce (involving NO courts)
My question is... Not having signed the loan paperwork, and not dealing with the situation of the loan through the court system prior to divorce, am I still leagally accountable for the Loan of that house?
It was my understanding that that sort of stuff needed to be taken care of prior to divorce and work out through the court system before officially signing the divorce paper. Or, at least that makes sense. Is there anything still holding me accountable to that house or that loan?
Thanks for any advice or information on the Japanese legal system.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If you find that your question is not getting answered you may want to consider posting your question on the Japan version of our site, where your question would be made available to professionals who only work on the Japan version of our site. You may be able to get an answer faster on the Japan version of

If you are not fluent in Japanese you can still give the Japan version of the site a try by using Google's Chrome browser. Google Chrome will automatically translate web pages for you. You can download the Google Chrome browser here for free:

You will need to place a new deposit on the Japan site. You can get a refund of your deposit on the US site by following this link:

Please let me know if you need further assistance.