Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am American male living in Japan. My wife(Japanese) and

I am American male living in Japan. My wife(Japanese) and I have recently gotten divorced. The paperwork is finalized under "Mutual Agreement". She did not give me any custody of our two children. Now, four months later, she wants to take me to "High Court" on account of me committing adultery while we were married. She told me that she will be able to collect alamony(or some form of money) from me, AND the third party woman. My question is... Regardless of weather i really did commit adultery while we were married or not, could I still get sued or in any kind of legal trouble for it NOW that the divorce has been final (meaning both parties willfully signed the divorce paperwork) for four months. And if so what kind of proof would she need to present the courts that I ACTUALLY did commit adultery? Thank you for your assistance
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. Now that the divorce has been finalized, there is nothing more your ex can do to "modify" the Court's order in regards XXXXX XXXXX divorce. In other words, she could have brought up the adultery at the time that the divorce was still ongoing, but because she did not, the matter is now laid to rest, civilly.

In Japan, adultery is not criminally prosecuted, so, one is not likely to be criminally prosecuted for the matter. Japan has not punished adultery criminally since before World War II.

Ergo, her threats are mostly empty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. 幸運

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups for free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has threatend to bring the third part woman into the matter, hiring a spying agency to find her address, and personal information. Is that kind of behavior normal/legal in Japan, or a legal procedure? Or is it most likely her own acts.? Thanks for your help, I feel alot better.

Hello friend,

Thank you for your follow up.

She has threatend to bring the third part woman into the matter, hiring a spying agency to find her address, and personal information. Is that kind of behavior normal/legal in Japan, or a legal procedure? Or is it most likely her own acts.?

It is normal during a divorce, wherein parties often use private investigators to catch their spouses cheating. However, since the divorce is finalized, bringing in evidence of a third party is now somewhat pointless. Ergo, while this is widely done during divorce, doing it after is pointless as again, the matter is now FINAL and concluded. She is likely either bluffing to scare you, or, is confused.

Thanks for your help, I feel alot better.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all your advice, I didn't think I would find anyone who knew about the Japanese System (that spoke English) on here. Good remarks from me. Take care Ely

Phillip,

You are very welcome! Take care, and be well.