LawBeagle, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney

i am a wholesaler, i BUY/SELL cars for a living. I only buy

i am a wholesaler, i BUY/SELL cars for a living. I only buy vehicles that has a clean CARFAX, meaning no accident history. My wife was rear ended yesterday, and it was determined NOT to be her fault. So before I deal with the other party insurance I need to know this. The damageI would estimate about $1000, not too bad, a dent and some scratches in the trunk lid of a 2006 chrysler pacifica. After they agree to do the repairs this car will not have a clean car fax, the color would definitely not match and will have had some paint work on it. So, can I argue or how should I argue about it? I am not trying to be a jerk about it, but it really would affect how much I sell it for. How should i go about it? Also, my 3 1/2 years old daughter was in the car. She didn't get injured, but spent most of the day yesterday talking about it and even dreamt about it. Any emotional distress I can bring up?

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and daughter's accident, but am glad to hear that they are not seriously injured.

Dimunition of value is absolutely a valid claim in an auto accident, and understandably the other person's insurance company won't offer it to you in settlement. It is absolutely something you can pursue. Laws vary across states, but in Alabama, you can recover as long as you aren't at fault.

It is possible to recover for emotional damages/pain and suffering in a car accident. Depending on the long term effects on your daughter, it is possible that you can recover.

I would recommend contacting a personal injury attorney - most offer free consultation and many work on a contingency fee. This will help you make sure you meet all deadlines, etc. You can also obtain an offer from the insurance company, and then work with an attorney for a contingency of what the attorney recovers for you ABOVE the amount of the original offer.

Thank you so much and I hope this information is helpful! If my response is helpful to you, please leave positive feedback! Before leaving negative feedback, please let me know if you have follow up questions by hitting REPLY to Expert. I am always happy to answer follow up questions.

Just Answer experts DO NOT provide legal services. In order to obtain a legal opinion or advice, you must retain the services of a licensed attorney located in your state. The answer provided is FOR INFORMATIONAL OR RESEARCH PURPOSES only, and does not constitute legal advice or a legal opinion AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON TO MAKE LEGAL DECISIONS. FURTHERMORE, by clicking Accept or viewing my response, you agree that this response WILL NOT be used to obtain credit at any institute of learning and is for background or research purposes only. YOUR QUESTIONS AND MY RESPONSE ARE NOT CONFIDENTIAL, as they are viewable by the public. No attorney-client relationship is formed.