Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

im doing some research for a single mom friend who is now

Customer Question

i'm doing some research for a single mom friend who is now spending most of her time sitting with the victims in the hospitals:

Here's the basic facts: She had some friends over.
Her and one of the friends children were present and involved in what happened.
A neighbor couple with mental, drug, and alcohol issues invited themselves over.
The neighbor couple and the female guest already there began arguing.
My Single Mom friend was escorting the female neighbor out and the male neighbor shot both of the friends that were already there, a male and a female each 4 times to include multiple head wounds. The female just awoke from a coma. The male victim appears to be recovering.
The male neighbor who shot them fled and was later captured.
What does my friend who's rented house this happened in need to prepare herself for? Can the victims who are friends and were invited sue my friend for any sort of endangerment, recklessness, negligence?
Are there steps she should be taking against the neighbor (husband who did the shooting is in custody, his wife is harassing my friend).
My friend is an unemployed student. Are there any attorneys that take on cases such as this gratis? This happened in Georgia in the Metro Atlanta Area
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
.
Since the friend didn't break the law in any way then there would be no liability on her part for the illegal actions of the neighbor in shooting the victims. A person can not be held accountable for the illegal acts of a third party.
.
So no, I don't see any legal grounds under which the victims can come after friend for the actions of the neighbor. Their recourse would be to go after the neighbor who was actually responsible for the shootings. In addition to any criminal charges that may be filed, the neighbor could be held responsible for any medical costs and compensatory damages that the victims incurred.
.

At this point, I would see no reason for friend to need an attorney since she did nothing wrong..

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service.If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing.There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.