WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

Is it illegal to leave a recording device in the kitchen of

Is it illegal to leave a recording device in the kitchen of my home while I am at work?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If you left the device there is nothing against the law with doing this,

WALLSTREETLAW :

New Jersey's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. New Jersey makes it a crime to intercept or record an in-person or telephone conversation unless one party to the conversation consents.N.J. Stat. §§ 2A:156A-3, -4

WALLSTREETLAW :

The law is for wiretapping or recording conversations over the phone, making a recording in your home is not against the law, unless an unauthorized individual enters your private property and records your personal conversations at your house without your permission.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was not present with the recorder. I left it and went to work? suspicious of wife?

If this is in your property it is not against the law, there is no law in any State that prohibits a person from recording events in their own home.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,

My wife found the device, and I want to be sure she can not press charges. I am in the early stages of a Divorce, and was nervous. It was a shitty move, but not illegal?

Not if this was in your home, these are common safety techniques as well, and you are allowed to place a camera or recording device in your home for protection as well.