Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

THE SITUATION: 1. I live in Michigan with a former wife

THE SITUATION:

1. I live in Michigan with a former wife and daughter who now live in Atlanta.
2. The former wife who filed for the divorce is now extremely vindictive and slanderous.
3. She has been in contempt under the Michigan judge overseeing child custody issues.
4. She has demonstrated she will not accept any orders from the Michigan judge.
5. She has been extremely active in public postings of false and slanderous information.
6. She has created fake individuals on Facebook who, in turn, make false testimony.
7. This slander has resulted in aborted job openings, expense and daughter alienation.
8. The ongoing internet slander and postings has resulted in local reputation risk for me.
9. My current Michigan attorney said he really can't do much about Atlanta activities.
10. The local judge will not/does not accept internet activity as criminal testimony.

MY QUESTIONS

1. My former wife, for a short time, used Legal Aid of Michigan; does that preclude my having access to Legal Aid of Atlanta?

2. Do Atlanta courts take into consideration documented internet slander and false testimony and do the Atlanta courts actually prosecute such crime at this time?

3. I used Legal Aid of Michigan because I had little money then, and have little money now as a result of the slander campaign against me. What might be my options?

Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I am typing your answer as we speak and should have it for you shortly.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize. A technical error was preventing me from posting.

1. Legal Aid in one state is usually not connected to legal aid in another. If you contact Legal Aid of Atlanta, they'll run a conflict check, but you should be dealing with a completely different organization. Legal aid typically doesn't handle tort cases, though. Primarily, they deal with family law cases. In recent years, they are so overwhelmed that they mostly accept cases that involve domestic violence or child abuse. If you are interested in suing her for defamation of character, you may want to look for a local Atlanta attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis - meaning that you only pay after you settle or win a judgment. You can request an attorney referral through the Georgia State Bar Association.

2. If you're suing someone for defamation of character, internet printouts are admissible. You may have to show that your ex-wife is the person who made the statements, but, yes, those are admissible.

3. See #1. An attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis may be the best option. If the original judge ordered her not to do any of these things, then there may also be an option of filing a copy of the original order with the family courts in Atlanta, and asking them to enfore it. Once the order is domesticated, you can ask the Atlanta judge to find her in contempt of court. It may be worth asking a local family law attorney what they would charge you to domesticate the order in Atlanta, because it may be less than the expense of you traveling to Georgia to do it. Another option is to look for a law school in Atlanta with a Family Law Clinic. They sometimes tend to take cases involving unusual issues, and domestication of a foreign court order could appeal to them.

I also just want to clarify - slander is not a crime. This is a civil action. That means that (1) the standard of proof is actually lower than in a criminal case, which should benefit you and (2) if you win, you're looking at an award of damages, not jail.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Lawyer