How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24995
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

THE SITUATION: 1. I live in Michigan with a former wife

Resolved Question:


1. I live in Michigan with a former wife and daughter who now live in Atlanta.
2. The former wife who filed for the divorce is now extremely vindictive and slanderous.
3. She has been in contempt under the Michigan judge overseeing child custody issues.
4. She has demonstrated she will not accept any orders from the Michigan judge.
5. She has been extremely active in public postings of false and slanderous information.
6. She has created fake individuals on Facebook who, in turn, make false testimony.
7. This slander has resulted in aborted job openings, expense and daughter alienation.
8. The ongoing internet slander and postings has resulted in local reputation risk for me.
9. My current Michigan attorney said he really can't do much about Atlanta activities.
10. The local judge will not/does not accept internet activity as criminal testimony.


1. My former wife, for a short time, used Legal Aid of Michigan; does that preclude my having access to Legal Aid of Atlanta?

2. Do Atlanta courts take into consideration documented internet slander and false testimony and do the Atlanta courts actually prosecute such crime at this time?

3. I used Legal Aid of Michigan because I had little money then, and have little money now as a result of the slander campaign against me. What might be my options?

Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I am typing your answer as we speak and should have it for you shortly.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I apologize. A technical error was preventing me from posting.

1. Legal Aid in one state is usually not connected to legal aid in another. If you contact Legal Aid of Atlanta, they'll run a conflict check, but you should be dealing with a completely different organization. Legal aid typically doesn't handle tort cases, though. Primarily, they deal with family law cases. In recent years, they are so overwhelmed that they mostly accept cases that involve domestic violence or child abuse. If you are interested in suing her for defamation of character, you may want to look for a local Atlanta attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis - meaning that you only pay after you settle or win a judgment. You can request an attorney referral through the Georgia State Bar Association.

2. If you're suing someone for defamation of character, internet printouts are admissible. You may have to show that your ex-wife is the person who made the statements, but, yes, those are admissible.

3. See #1. An attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis may be the best option. If the original judge ordered her not to do any of these things, then there may also be an option of filing a copy of the original order with the family courts in Atlanta, and asking them to enfore it. Once the order is domesticated, you can ask the Atlanta judge to find her in contempt of court. It may be worth asking a local family law attorney what they would charge you to domesticate the order in Atlanta, because it may be less than the expense of you traveling to Georgia to do it. Another option is to look for a law school in Atlanta with a Family Law Clinic. They sometimes tend to take cases involving unusual issues, and domestication of a foreign court order could appeal to them.

I also just want to clarify - slander is not a crime. This is a civil action. That means that (1) the standard of proof is actually lower than in a criminal case, which should benefit you and (2) if you win, you're looking at an award of damages, not jail.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24995
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.