Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My grandfather is an ordained minister and will be performing

My grandfather is an ordained minister and will be performing my wedding ceremony in NC. What do we need to do to have our marriage legally acknowledged?

You must apply for a marriage license at a Register of Deeds Office in any North Carolina County. Then once the license is issued, the minister must perform a ceremony (within 60 days )which simply requires that both spouses declare that they freely take each other as husband and wife, and then the minister is required to declare that you are husband and wife. The law which sets forth these requirements of the marriage solemnization is set forth in North Carolina General Statutes § 51-1.

The minister then simply signs the license at the bottom and then the minister must return the license to the Register of Deeds Office within 10 days where it was obtained.