Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have inherited mineral interests that have a notice of abandonment

Customer Question

I have inherited mineral interests that have a notice of abandonment in the newspaper. I have a, ‘Notice to Preserve Mineral Interest’ affidavit typed up and ready to go. Do I need to do anything else besides file it with the recorder? Do I need to contact the surface owner with a registered letter? If so what needs to be in it? Does it need to be filed in a court?

Basically, what steps do I take from here?
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please clarify - are you attempting to cease the mineral instruments by adverse possession? Or, did you inherit them though probate? In other words, can you please tell me a little more about the matter?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.