Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My tax service had two clients with the same name and through

My tax service had two clients with the same name and through a series of human errors one client ended up with the others tax return and all the personal info in it. We got it back and the customer signed a statement that he never opened the folder to look at it - he never knew he didn't have his own info and did nothing with the other clients info. The client who we gave his folder to the wrong person is threatening to sue. What would the case be based on? I need to know what kind of knowledge my lawyer needs to take on this case. I live in a small town and most of the lawyers are specialized.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. The causes of action would be negligence and/or malpractice. But, given the facts, there are no damages, so it's not likely that the client would actually get anywhere with his suit. But, should he sue, you would want a trial lawyer experienced in defending negligence and malpractice claims. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!