How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 97336
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My new next door neighbor (since 1/1/13) is making our lives

Resolved Question:

My new next door neighbor (since 1/1/13) is making our lives miserable. We've lived in our home for 9 years without a single complaint by any of the neighbors...he moves in and the sheriff has been to my house 3 times now, animal services and county code enforcement once each as well - for 'nothing' complaints.

Though he wouldn't know it, because he refuses to converse with me/us, I've made some adjustments to the door frames in our house so they don't close 'loudly'; I've twice offered for him to come talk to me face to face, calmly about what is bothering him that go ignored, or are countered with childish, inflammatory remarks and boarding up his windows on the side of his house adjacent to our property.

It is clear that he has no interest in trying to pursue a peaceful solution. He's also exhibited signs/symptoms of mental instability - extreme paranoia, anger management issues... Are there any legal solutions available to help stop his harassment? (Pinellas County, FL)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Were all of the complaints made by this neighbor found unfounded or false by the authorities?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,


The code enforcement person had findings: debris, lawn mowing, and an inoperable car in the driveway - which were addressed within a week of his visit. The other two are my land lord's responsibility and 'due' 4/21.


Sheriff visit for 'suspicion of residents smoking spice' - unfounded/false (we smoke clove cigars on the front porch)


Animal services visit for complaint of animal cruelty - unfounded/false; officer inspected all and found that they are healthy and happy


Sheriff visit today, excess noise - false


I apologize, the 3rd sheriff visit was a call that I made to them for assistance talking with him about his angry outbursts, in particular when he was SLAMMING on the fence (so loud it sounded like gun shot)


The majority of his outbursts - from what I can hear clearly amongst the profanity and insults - relate to a perception that we are slamming doors at all hours of the night, keeping him awake.


The house is older, and the doors often don't shut gracefully; a couple of weeks ago I placed felt lining in all of the door jams to help reduce any possible noise that could be misconstrued as slamming. He still insists that he is kept awake from slamming doors - at or during hours when we are all inside and asleep.


None of the prior neighbors had issues - I had friendly relationships with both 'sets' for the years that they each lived there; if something seemed out of the ordinary, they'd come make sure we were ok etc.


Please let me know if you have further questions, and thank you!


Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Elizabet,

Thank you for your detailed response. It helped me better understand your situation.

Was this neighbor ever violent toward you or your household members or made any threats of violence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



No, there hasn't been violence directly towards us at this point. Just his frequent outbursts (2 or 3 times per week) of insults, profanity and slamming things around - on his own property.


Part of why I'm requesting legal advice is to try and head off / prevent further escalations.




Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Elizabet,

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to provide customers with any type of legal advice or legal service, due to the terms of service and various state laws, and such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney upon a full review of your situation and unfortunately I am only limited to providing customers with general answers,based on the basic principles of law.

Please let me know at this time whether you are seeking a legal advice or you are willing to receive a general answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hoping to receive general guidance / advice to know whether or not to proceed with further action; and what types of services might be available/where to find them to help me with this situation.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Elizabet,

Thank you for your follow up.

Since it appears that you are requesting a legal advice, I will opt-out at no charge and will open your question to other legal professionals.

Thank you for using
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am another expert with Justanswer.

Someone in your situation essentially has three remedies available to them. Let us discuss them all.

The first thing that one needs to be aware of is that an individual always has the option of requesting a restraining order, known as an Injunction for Protection Against Stalking/Cyberstalking in Florida.

This may be requested for an instances of harassment. Harassment is when someone commits a series of acts over a period of time against you, which causes you to have substantial emotional distress, and the acts serve no legitimate purpose. Fla. Stat. § 784.048 et seq.

If their complaints are baseless and they are beginning to seriously harass you, this may be an option. Such a restraining order request can be filed in Court. They would then be served, and the Judge makes a decision. If they are ordered restrained from you, then their continuous allegations will receive less and less consideration from the authorities. They may also be prosecuted for breaching the restraining order.

In a variation to the matter, one has the option of filing an actual lawsuit. To sue in state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state. Every cause of action has its own elements, and each element has to be satisfied for a cause of action to be successful in court.

Here, their actions may be the basis for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Under Florida law, the elements of a defamation claim are: (a) the defendant published a false statement; (b) about the plaintiff; (c) to a third party; and (d) the falsity of the statement caused injury to the plaintiff. Border Collie Rescue v. Ryan, 418 F.Supp.2d 1330, 1348 (M.D.Fla. 2006).

To establish a cause of action for the intentional infliction of emotional distress, four elements must be proven: (a) deliberate or reckless infliction of mental suffering; (b) outrageous conduct; (c) the conduct must have caused the emotional distress; and (d) the distress must be severe. Dominguez v. Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States, 438 So.2d 58 (Fla. 3rd DCA 1983), approved, 467 So.2d 281 (Fla. 1985).

An injunction may be requested, first temporarily, and then permanently, as part of the suit. Punitive damages may also be available.

Finally, know that if they begin to trespass unto your land or actively threaten you, calling 9-1-1 should not be an issue, provided that the apprehension is reasonable that they may become violent. The authorities may then initiate a criminal investigation.

Very often, a letter threatening a lawsuit unless they cease and desist may work the matter, even without the need to file litigation. A letter coming from an attorney helps, because it carries more 'gravitas.'

May I recommend the FL Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups for free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 97336
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Ely and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ely,


I had no further questions and rated your service as Excellent.


This is exactly the information I was looking for: What possible remedies are available. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a couple of local lawyer referral services, and plan to pursue attorney Cease/Desist letter and/or injunction filing (depending on neighbor's reaction to attorney letter).


Thanks so much for your help!!




Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello E,

Thank you for your touching base. You may have received an "automated" message from the site. I did not send one. But I am glad that you received the information you needed - best of luck.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.