How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16503
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any way to maintain a legal drivers license / mailing

This answer was rated:

Is there any way to maintain a legal driver's license / mailing address [for United States] without having a permanent residence?

I want to go 'on the road', and have vehicles, but don't own property and don't have an address I consider or want to claim as "home". Is there any possibility whatsoever I can maintain a legal driver's license during this? My license doesn't state an expiration for another year and a half, yet I was warned by an officer of my own state for claiming a residence of at least two months which was not current on the license. If I were traveling for a year or more...what, if anything, can I do to have a valid driver's license? Is there any sort of 'transient' exemption / status possible whatsoever / wherever? It's not a question of the fees, or maintaining a clean driving record, it's simply a matter of not wanting to have to predict where I'm going to be a month from now and register it in person at a government office...
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Have you considered to simply using an address of your friend or relative where you can receive mail and call it your legal residence and your friend or relative can forward your mail anywhere that you are traveling to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a friend or relative in the state I want to use as such a contact. I am uncertain if it would be legal to claim as a legal 'residence' if it is merely a mail forward.


I could get a mail forwarding service, but I doubt the department of public safety is going to accept what is openly a forwarding address (e.g. PO boxes are unlikely to be accepted).


What I'm looking for is whether there is any state or federal route for not having a permanent declared address yet maintain a driver's license. If it's legal and accepted to use any standard mail forwarding system, then references demonstrating that will suffice.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, there are no such legal option for someone without permanent place of residence to simply use a mail forwarding service for the purposes of maintaining a driver license.

While, a residential address of a friend or a family member can be used in such situations, if you simply do not have any primary residence, then you would have to obtain a license in each state according to the each state's law governing the address requirement for the proper driver license.

I wish I could suggest a valid legal option in a situation such as yours, but unfortunately there are simply none that exist.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you