Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

My contractors license was suspended for not paying the opp.

Customer Question

My contractors license was suspended for not paying the opp. party the arbitration award. We have filed a motion to vacate the arbitration in Superior Court. I would like to know if I send a copy of the Notice of Status hearing on Petition and Notice of Case Assignment for all purposes to the State Licensing board, should my suspension be automatically stayed or should it have a letter accompanying ie. some type of Motion to Stay so I may continue to do business until the outcome.
Michael Paul
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there Michael -

-

I apologize for the delay in answering this question but I think that the reason why it was not picked up sooner is because there really is no good answer to give to you. The contractor licensing boards in each state have their own rules and procedures regarding such situations and the only thing that you can do is write them a formal letter and make the request that your license be reinstated until the entire court process is completed or the opportunity to have a hearing concerning the matter before they suspend the license. There are no form letters that we can point you to because this is not a general request made by many people (in which case forms would have been developed). You may be better off if you have a lawyer prepare a letter for you and put everything together to the board -- it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to have a lawyer do this for you and you may get better results if you handle it in that manner rather than trying to handle this by yourself (I do sympathize with you -- my husband has a contactors license in two states and I have a lot of experience in dealing with these issues -- and there simply is no "form").

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Michael -

-

I am sorry that there are no forms or form letters that I can direct you to in this situation but none exist as I mentioned before (it is not an everyday request such as someone looking for divorce forms). I will opt out of this question and place it back on the board for further response from other attorneys but given the fact that it took more than 15 hours for you to get a response in the first instance and I was the only one who stepped up to the plate to respond to you and let you know this. I have doubts whether or not any other lawyer will be able to assist you in this matter any further than I have already done so.

-

MARY