How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dispute with my HOA. The HOA had changed some years

Resolved Question:

I have a dispute with my HOA. The HOA had changed some years ago from the previous HOA management company. I received a notice of fees and late fees and paid that (I had never received any invoice, bill, statement until the late notice). I have no agreement with the new management company (which I have requested several times cia phone and in writing); I have never received any copy of by-laws regulations rules of the HOA (Also requested in writing). After paying the previous late fees and assessments I had requested that they invoice, bill, provide me with statements, or ANYTHING else that would tell me what I am paying, when it is due, and what I am paying for. I had sent a written letter stating that I would not be making any future payments until I receive a copy of my bylaws and/or HOA agreement AND any type of statement with due date and due amount (in writing). This written notice went ignored and I didnt make any payment since. I recently received a statement from a law firm which included monthly assessments $90/quarter ($360) and a grand total of $1200 for late fees and attorney fees. I sent them a letter (with copies of previous letters) and a check for $360 stating that this was the first and only statement I have received and "I am willling" to pay the assessments in good faith but dispute any fees...and requested AGAIN any copies of past due bills, by-laws, or agreements. The check came back with a letter asking to resend the check with "no restrictive endorsement". NO way! I still have no idea what the by laws are and can only imagine that they would apply the check to exactly what I am refusing to pay. LATE FEES!

I imagine there has to be some protection under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They wont even provide me with the by-laws. I have offered the payment on the assessments...should I just wait until they file and present my case...or pay the $1200 and then sue them?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

The fact that the HOA is refusing to provide you with a copy of the by-laws and is refusing to send you an invoice for the fees due is very odd and also means that you do not legally owe the late fees they are trying to collect.

However, the fact that this is an HOA means that they will collect by placing a lien on your property and attempt to enforce the lien through foreclosure This can be a very costly situation to resolve and also places undo pressure on you to acquiesce to their demands. In order to avoid this situation you need to act immediately.

What I recommend that you do is file a Declaratory Judgment Action, in which you will have a court declare that you are not liable for any late fees, that the HOA is required to invoice you for any dues and assessments, and that the HOA must provide you with a copy of the by-laws and allow you adequate access to the HOA records (as is generally the right of any HOA member). In this Declaratory Judgment Action you would also ask for a temporary injunction to prevent the HOA and the attorney firm attempting to collect from you from exercising any collection rights such as foreclosure, until the matter is resolved in court.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mr. DZNLaw,


I apologize but I have 1 more issue and will rate you excellent if you can give me some follow up advise. after reviewing your answer I see that the legal notice does already have a charge for a placing a lien on my property. I did not receive any intent to lien notification and dont know if they actually placed a lien because that notice was the first time I was ever notified. Would you opine that paying the $1200 and "chasing" recovery through the court by suing them would be a better course of action or would filing a Declaratory Judgment Action have better results.


I really "could" afford to pay but its the principle...I dont think they have treated me fairly by doing all of this.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
I think the results will be the same either way.

However, it would be easier to pay the amount owed and then sue. This would cut them off from any further lien action and will spare you the cost of getting a temporary injunction. The temporary injunction will cost you in attorneys fees and you will likely have to put a bound up. So paying the $1,200 will be cheaper in the long run in terms of the costs of litigation.
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.