BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.

In December, 2011, my husband at the time asked me to co-sign

In December, 2011, my husband at the time asked me to co-sign for a line of credit. I supplied a copy of my drivers license but did not physically sign any papers. We are now divorced and after running a credit report, I have found out that he has fallen past due on a couple of occasions. Since I did not sign the paperwork, is there a chance that I could get my name taken off of the loan? Is there any legal recourse I can take to make this happen? Thank you.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight.

BizAttorney :

Yes, you must ask for a copy of the executed application first from the entity that loaned the money. When you get that, you will need to review it to see if there was a signature for you.

BizAttorney :

You will then contest that signature and can actually sue your ex husband for fraud for signing your name.

BizAttorney :

Now with all of that said, if he can show that you knew about the loan and supplied documentation as you suggested, then you will not be successful on a fraud suit.

BizAttorney :

In my opinion, since you provided your DL and knew about it, the court would likely find you were aware of this loan and that he had your permission.

That is what I was afraid of. Thank you for your help.

BizAttorney :

You are very welcome. Have a great night and good luck! Please leave me feedback so that I can continue to help others.