RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Will summary offenses show up on a background check via a private

Will summary offenses show up on a background check via a private company?
Thank you for your question.

The answer is unfortunately, yes. Summary offenses are reported to the Pennsylvania State Police and they do show up on records checks unless the offense is later expunged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know this is a bit vague, but I am reticent about too much personal information. I am working at a state agency and they have a new policy, and i have to get another background check. My institution was made aware of the summary offenses but not my immediate superiors. I'm worried that I will have to disclose this embarrassing information. Also, the offense is not sexual, which is what they are most concerned with, but I am worried it will impact me negatively. I plan to get them expunged but that is 2 years away.

I understand the additional facts, yes, what exactly is your follow-up question, though?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I was just wondering, from your experience, how much this will affect my employment. My background did not show up in the state police files.

Thank you for your quick reply.

There's no hard and fast "rule" per se - different employers are going to taking different views. But summary offenses are very low level crimes -higher than a traffic ticket, but lower than even a misdemeanor -things like disorderly conduct or public urination. I think part of the reason the law was changed in Pennsylvania was so that people could get them expungement.

So, I think that would all be taken into consideration. Plus, you've been on the job for at least a few years now with your institution aware of the offense - if they wanted to act upon it, they could have notified your supervisors, and they haven't, and I think says something as well.

While I cannot predict what will happen of course, unless there is a workplace policy that prohibits you from doing your job with a conviction for a summary offense, it will not have an impact on your job.