Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

Our Son, Ian, was a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army stationed

Our Son, Ian, was a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Army stationed outside Savannah, Georgia. His wife Caroline, was leaving him home with the children while she went out and partied. They were separated for approximately 1 week during which he repeatedly threatened suicide. She told no one (according to statements she gave Army Investigators) saying she didn't think he was serious. On 30 April 2012, Ian committed suicide in a motel room 4 1/2 miles from his home. There is a long history of abuse by Caroline toward Ian (witnessed by others). The first words out of Caroline's mouth when advised of Ian's death were "Is my name still on the will?"

There is much more information but my question is: Was she legally obligated to notify someone of Ian's threats?) Could she be legally liable for contributing to his death?
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

A person can be legally liable for contributing to the death of another, but you have to show a legal duty that was not adhered to.

There is a generally accepted responsibility on the part of parents, schools, and medical personnel.

Spouses are not, however, generally held to be liable for this sort of situation. They have no legal duty to report threats of suicide or to take actions to have that person placed in protective custody. Those are rights, but not obligations.

I'm sorry that I can't give you the answer that you want here, but based on just that facts you've given to this point, I don't see a claim here that will work against her, either in criminal or civil law.