Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is it legal for a company called Milliman InstelliScript to

Customer Question

Is it legal for a company called Milliman InstelliScript to down load a person precription and share this infomation with Insurance companies with out consent to do so from the person for them to do this. And why do they need to be sharing this informatiom with them unless its for profit?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for your question and the opportunity to assist you today.

What was the purpose for the company to download the prescription? They were not sharing the information so your insurer would cover the charge?

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. There may be a delay between your follow ups and my replies as I review your responses and prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was trying to get a burial policy set up to cover expenses

when I pass on. But felt violated when call by Ins. company to discuss medications, weight , height, and doctor information gathered from Milliman.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

I see. It sounds as though the company may have used the information you provided as a marketing tool, Shirley.

If you did not provide your consent for them to share your confidential information, providing such information to others would typically violate HIPAA, a federal law designed to protect us from the unauthorized distribution of our confidential medical information.

Here is a link on how to file a complaint against the company with the Dept. of Health and Human Services.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/

You may also want to consider filing a lawsuit for damages based on an invasion of privacy claim if you have suffered damages as a result of the wrongful disclosure. For that, it would be best to retain a local attorney to reprsent you in this matter. One with experience in civil litigation would usually be best.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by going to your “My Questions” page and clicking on “Request Tina again” next to my photo. I look forward to hearing from you again.