Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
10805288

I want to sue the Social Security Admin. I have been lied to,

Customer Question

I want to sue the Social Security Admin. I have been lied to, I have been humiliated,ETC. This is a long story. I will cut it as short as poss.I hired a law firm and won my disability.Got my back payment,My lawyer got theres. Then I applied for my survivors income to be reinstated, no problem. I did this on my on,no lawyer involved.I was granted my reinstatement immd.But the case worker sent my old lawyer 25o/o of the back pay owed to me.Big mistake on there part.My lawyer got the check and insted of just them cutting me a check they sent it back to SSA. Well this was in Nov..2012 I called SS in Jan. 2013 they said they had not recieved the refund. So I called a few more times in Jan 2013 to be told the same thing. I contacted my x lawyer they assured me of the refund. Feb.2013 Called SS they said yes they recieved it an I would have my check within 30 days.Well no check.So everytime i have called sense then i get a differant story.They mailed it,or direct deposit, or they havent recieved a refund from the lawyer.By the way I have called every Tue sense Jan. 2013 A investigator got involved from SS assured me he had found my money in Kansas payment center and I would have it by Feb.26th 2013. Didnt happen.So now when I call all records have disapeared. Like this situation never exsisted.Well theres alot more to this.But anyway Im at my wits end. I only get between the 2 checks right at 500$mo. Im disa.cant work,an now im on a chemo med. for my illness.I have no script coverage,cause they didnt give me part D.So anyway they no this.I want to sue them for emotional stress, or anguish. Whatever it is. I dont have the money to hire a lawyer to help me. So what can I do. Oh yeah the last guy at SS told me to call my congressman,HAHA Like he will speak to me.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues similar to yours. That being said...

I want to sue the Social Security Admin. That is understandable. Not typically successful under these facts, due to immunities, etc., but understandable.

I have been lied to, I have been humiliated,ETC. This is a long story. I will cut it as short as poss.I hired a law firm and won my disability.Got my back payment,My lawyer got theres. Then I applied for my survivors income to be reinstated, no problem. I did this on my on,no lawyer involved.I was granted my reinstatement immd.But the case worker sent my old lawyer 25o/o of the back pay owed to me.Big mistake on there part. It happens, people being human.

My lawyer got the check and insted of just them cutting me a check they sent it back to SSA. Yes, this is required. If he cashed it, he'd be taxed on it has income, when it is not supposed to be his income but your income. He is only supposed to accept a fee that he is entitled to.

Well this was in Nov..2012 I called SS in Jan. 2013 they said they had not recieved the refund. So I called a few more times in Jan 2013 to be told the same thing. I contacted my x lawyer they assured me of the refund. Feb.2013 Called SS they said yes they recieved it an I would have my check within 30 days.Well no check.So everytime i have called sense then i get a differant story.They mailed it,or direct deposit, or they havent recieved a refund from the lawyer. Be sure to always document who you spoke to, specificaly, when and about what. Then follow up that conversation with a letter mailed. cert. RRR to the SSA.

By the way I have called every Tue sense Jan. 2013 A investigator got involved from SS assured me he had found my money in Kansas payment center and I would have it by Feb.26th 2013. Didnt happen.So now when I call all records have disapeared. Like this situation never exsisted.Well theres alot more to this.But anyway Im at my wits end. I only get between the 2 checks right at 500$mo. Im disa.cant work,an now im on a chemo med. for my illness. So sorry!

I have no script coverage,cause they didnt give me part D.So anyway they no this.I want to sue them for emotional stress, or anguish. Unfortunately, not a valid cause of action against this government agency :( Governmental immunities typically prevent.

Whatever it is. I dont have the money to hire a lawyer to help me. So what can I do. Believe it or not, "the last guy" has exactly the right answer.

Oh yeah the last guy at SS told me to call my congressman,HAHA Like he will speak to me. If you take it less literally, utilizing your Congressman's SS team is the BEST way to fix clerical screw ups like this. I use mine whenever something like this happens and a few weeks, some calls, and a couple of letters fail t get me a competent handling of the situation. But, what you want to do is get your proofs together, in a concise and understandable narrative of what has happened, and ask the Congressman to perform a "Congressional Inquiry" in order that this may be resolved before you suffer major medical harm as a result of not receiving this portion of your moneys.

First, find your Congressman's office website (not his campaign site, if you find that one). Look for a section about Social Security help - and use the contact info there to send your info. Ideally, you can fax it or email it (if you have your documentary proofs scanned into the computer) so you don't have to rely on snail mail which can take 'forever'. I typically see a check within 2-3 weeks once the Congressman's team makes it inquiry, getting someone to finally get the work done that is needed to resolve.

With regard to suing, while it is your right to file suit and you are not required to use a lawyer (just study up/read the books on how to do it) - you will first want to determine if there is governmental immunity that protects the federal agency from suits for negligent handling of a claim. You will want to know that first, so you can then know if you can actually win the suit. Anyone can start the suit, but not always does that mean success, even if all one claims is 100% true.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need follow up before or after RATING me. And PLEASE know that my job depends on a POSITIVE rating now and at least an 8-10 feedback rating later. Thanks! I won't forget your support.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

-------

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know and we can interact further. Otherwise, I wish you the best and ask that you Rate me now. HINT: I aim to provide only EXCELLENT SERVICE and ask that you click a rating on the RIGHT side of the choices OR, follow up with me if you need more follow up or clarification. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq." Or bookmark this page, and go to: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-AlexiaEsq/

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and presenting your issue to your lawyer if need be. I am an Attorney in the U.S. but I am not your attorney.

Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunantly I have already done everything you suggested, as far as my congressmen. No one in her office would help.There is no one in there to help with SS. Ive writen, called.ETC. So I guess im right where I started from. Its not your fault. I was hopeing to get answers of some sort, of somthing I had not already done.If you have any other suggestions aside the ones before it would help.Otherwise im at a dead end. And ive lost quite a few thousand dollars that are owed me from SSA.

Good morning, and thank you for follow up and your kind rating.
With regard to your follow up:

Thank you for your help. Unfortunantly I have already done everything you suggested, as far as my congressmen. What is her name and can you give me your zip code?

No one in her office would help.Please tell me what exactly they said. This is unheard of. So please tell me what they said. Also, if you experienced a rogue staffer, the Congresswoman would likely want to know about it - she relies on the votes of you and other constituents to keep her job through the next election. There would be no way she would seek to ruin that by condoning her staff to NOT do the very job she is paying them to do, you see?

There is no one in there to help with SS. Ive writen, called. You need to give me specifics, OK?

ETC. So I guess im right where I started from. Its not your fault. I was hopeing to get answers of some sort, of somthing I had not already done.If you have any other suggestions aside the ones before it would help.Otherwise im at a dead end. And ive lost quite a few thousand dollars that are owed me from SSA.
Yes, which is ludicrous. And just to confirm, SSA does not say it doesn't owe you, right? It only says, "oh yes, we are sending... just don't know when."

One last thing: Consider "appealing" - they will try to say you can't appeal since we didn't give you a written denial, but I'd do it anyway. Use an SSA-561 form (let me know if you need it) and again, Cert., RRR. If you "lose" that appeal, you then get the chance to appeal to go in front of an Administrative Law Judge - and then you get answers because he MUST provide a thorough written decision, which will obvioulsy order that you be paid, and backed up with confirmable SSA documented facts.

There are also some others: 1) The Commissioner. We have a new one, so consider writing his office. I can't say I have used this option, but it can't hurt. 2) There is also an Office of Inspector General, which investigates abuses within and TO the SSA system - while we often think of that as abuses by individuals against the SSA (i.e. fraud), it can be employees also. and 3) As OIG informs us, the Freedom on Information Act is a person's avenue to demand information from SSA: http://www.ssa.gov/foia/. Consider requesting all information relating to your case, and that missing money - if nothing else, you will get the proof that they never paid you (for your appeal possibly) and the mere effort of getting that Info together for you may prompt someone to do their job and pay you.

But again, I'd not give up on the Congresswoman if you really didn't speak to the right person or in the right way (which I will try to find for you if you answer those questions up above). Also, you have a U.S. Senator - do the same for him.