How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq. , Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18636
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I win a judgement in small claims court and the loser just

Resolved Question:

If I win a judgement in small claims court and the loser just does not pay, how do I go about COLLECTING the judgement? What if they have, or claim to have, NO ASSETS/PROPERTY to garnish? I find it hard to believe if thats the case that they merely just are off the hook (PS I live in Florida)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

I understand that this is hard to believe, but it is true. That is why, one thing that attorneys do before they take a claim against someone, is to make sure that that person is not judgment proof (meaning that they have no assets or property).

All the courts can do is give you a right against the property a person has. The court can't jail the person for having a debt (we abolished debtors prison many years ago).

You can take the judgment and attempt to garnish income (meaning wages from a job) and/or put a lien on their home, bank account or other property. That is really all you can do, in case the come into some money at a later date.

It is very common for credit card companies, even when they know that the debtor has no funds, to sue for the judgment alone....just so that they can have it in place if the person receives an inheritance or something that would pay off the judgment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does the person collecting unemployment qualify for wage garnishment? I have tried to collect the debt via demand letters, in writing...the 1st one elicited a phone call back of "im not paying you back, if you write me another letter i'll have my dad arrest you for harassment" (i KNOW a formal, non threatening demand letter does NOT qualify as harassment.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Unemployment is exempt from garnishment.

I would go back to court and ask the court for a debtor's exam. If you go on line, you can find a good list of questions that the court will require this person to answer, under threat of contempt of court.

Be sure to tell the court what this person said when you made a lawful attempt to collect. The court might hold the person in contempt based on that alone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they can't put a lien either on, lets say, his father's wages/assets? Also, at the very least, having a judgement against him and not paying it can mess up his credit at least? It feels like the system in Florida, maybe in other states too, makes the victim do far too much and gives the option to let the scofflaw off the hook! He also violated FS 817.03 Making false statement to obtain property or credit, which is listed as a misdemeanor, HOWEVER, the police refuse to see it that way and don't arrest him.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
No, you can't put a lien on his parent's property based on a judgment against him, unless he is a minor (at which point, his parents should have been part of the claim in the first place).

I can't make the police charge him. Neither can you. All anyone can ever do is report what they believe to be a crime to the police and the police, along with the prosecutor, decides what they will do with the information. That is universally true.

Yes, having a judgment that is unpaid can effect his credit.

As for the justice system as a whole, yes, it is in place to protect the accused. Unfortunately, that is how our system is set up. I can't really say much about that. It's the system we are born into.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I will tell you this...up until just recently, as far as I know...he was NOT unemployed, so he has prior wages and a bank account. I would like to believe that somehow works in my favor but, still seems as if he'd find a loophole around that...also, are the rules in regards XXXXX XXXXX claims pretty much the same in every state when it comes to collecting on a judgement? And i agree that i don't think the judge will like his "you lost out on your money, write here again and i'm gonna have you arrested for harassment"...although i do not understand how he could hold him in contempt for that? Sorry for so many questions, its just that ive tried to get answers on this from many people and most don't realize in small claims, its not about "winning", its about collecting...
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

If he has prior wages in a bank account, you can garnish that account.

But for that, you need to know the account information, which means that you need a debtors exam like I mentioned before.

A judge can find a reason to hold people in contempt, I assure you. You just have to get the person back in court, which you can do and have a right to do through a debtors exam.


And yes, collections is the same everywhere.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a debtor's exam also another fee for me to pay? Because, obviously, i wouldnt have access to knowing another person's bank acct info.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
That depends on a number of factors. If the person turned in the Judgment information required by the court, so that you wouldn't have to do a debtor's exam, then doing another one would likely incur a fee.

If the person didn't return that information to the court, then you can do the debtors exam without a fee.

You'll have to get this answer from the clerk of the court.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK- thank you. ONE more question and i'll let you go-if i go to his door myself to demand payment (not violently or anything) i could get arrested for trespassing right?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can. You're not allowed to do that sort of thing. You can ask the Sheriff to go to his house to confiscate any property that you discover through the debtor's exam, in some instances.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and if in the debtor's exam, if it's deemed he's got stolen property, he would go to jail...but , my collecting the judgement would be harder..altho i'd gladly take that tradeoff.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry that it took me this long to response. When you said that you were asking one final question, I took that to mean that you were done after I answered that question, so I left to have dinner with my family.


In response to your further question, if they ever discover that he has stolen property, yes, he could go to jail.

I think that you're expecting more of this process though that is reality.

They will simply require him to provide information about his assets.

Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18636
Experience: Lawyer and legal specialist.
Allen M., Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions