How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116314
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my cousin is a probation officer at westborough ma courthouse.I

This answer was rated:

my cousin is a probation officer at westborough ma courthouse.I was on probation with her coworker probation officer johnson,i asked the court to move my case out of this district before my case was disposed of there,before i was even put on probation.the judge denied the motion.he then stated that my case would be moved out of the district if i was put on probation in westborough.the other judge who was there denied that motion also.there is a lrule of criminal court preceedings that prohibits my case from being heard in a courthouse where i have family.What is this rule of court procedure?specific citing please
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

As your cousin is a probation officer and not a judge or attorney general in the court, there is no conflict of interest in the case in general. There is no law or MA general statute on this, it is no different than any complaint about the inability to get a fair trial because of some bias. You would have to file a motion to recuse and motion for change of venue upon proving that the relationship between your cousin and the judge is such that you could not receive a fair and impartial trial pursuant to MA G.L. c. 278, § 33E. It is up to you to bear the burden of proving that to the court by actual evidence.

You have a better case of arguing that you should not be put on probation with anyone in the same office that your cousin works in because that is a direct conflict of interest, but again there is no MA General Statute on this, it is just the appearance of impropriety.

A trial judge may order a change of venue if “there exists in the community where the prosecution is pending so great a prejudice against the defendant that he may not there obtain a fair and impartial trial.” Mass. R.Crim. P. 37(b)(1), 378 Mass. 914 (1979). A change of venue should be ordered only “with great caution and only after a solid foundation of fact has been first established.” Commonwealth v. McCowen, 458 Mass. 461, 476, 939 N.E.2d 735 (2010), quoting [460 Mass. 463] Commonwealth v. Clark, 432 Mass. 1, 6, 730 N.E.2d 872 (2000). A trial judge has substantial discretion in deciding whether to allow a motion for a change of venue; we review for abuse of discretion. See Commonwealth v. McCowen, supra at 475, 939 N.E.2d 735. . A change of venue is granted when it is impossible to obtain a fair and impartial jury due to pervasive bias in the community. See, e.g., Commonwealth v. Morales, 440 Mass. 536, 538-540, 800 N.E.2d 683 (2003); Commonwealth v. Colon-Cruz, 408 Mass. 533, 551, 562 N.E.2d 797 (1990); Mass. R.Crim. P. 37(b), 378 Mass. 914 (1979).

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking or you would like more information or you want to supply me with additional information to help you, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered using REPLY to EXPERT.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching your answer or working with other customers or I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you