TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am a RN. My ex was supposed to give me all insurance information

I am a RN. My ex was supposed to give me all insurance information about our kids. He never did so i made a profile on his health iinsance company web page and print my girls insurance cards. This had nothing nor did i get any information at my work place nor did i do anything except print my girls cards. He said he lawyer said i have voilated hipaa abd they can take my RN lic. I am not saying what i did was right but i do have the right to children health insurance cards and they needed ti see the doctor. He is now threatening me that he can take my lic and report me to and get me fired. None of this involved my workplace. Help
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

What you did was illegal because you fraudulently used his information to register on-line with the insurance company's website. I understand that you had a good motive to do that, but you violated several laws by doing that, but it likely does not include HIPAA

HIPAA prohibits the unauthorized disclosure of medical records (including health insurance information) by covered entities. A health care provider such as yourself prohibits disclosure by you when you gain access to the information through certain transactions. The way you gains access was not through a transaction.

Rather, you fraudulently used your ex's identity.

So, in short, you do have potential criminal and civil liability which could end up affecting your nursing license. If the incident were reported to the state board, it does not trigger any sort of automatic penalty but would bring up the possibility for discipline.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if i logged on as not the policy holder? Just used his information to gain access? How do i find out if he escalates this? Should i contact the medical board?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I follow you when you say you logged on "as not the policy holder".

Did you log on to his account using his information?

Were you on an account which had his health information on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea i had to give his information butbone question said are you the policy holder or listed member. I choose listed member as my children are minors.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,

I really do not think the medical board is going to do anything in this situation. It would be different if you logged onto your account at work and he wasn't your ex. But here, you were logging on as a mother, not as an RN.

I would not recommend contacting the medical board and think you should just keep your head low and let this blow over. If he contacts the police, they are likely going to simply tell him that this is a domestic matter which should be taken up with the court.

In short, I do not foresee anything coming out of this.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs