RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

by N.H law can a woman be asked to recind her last name as

by N.H law can a woman be asked to recind her last name as a result of a divorce?
Thank you for your question.

I appreciate your patience as I was sure of my answer, but wanted to research it anyway just in case. The answer is no -there is no law in New Hampshire that says a woman can be forced to rescind her last name (take back her non-married name, in other words) as a result of divorce.

That is left up to the woman to decide in the divorce whether they want to keep their married name or not, and many often do, especially if a minor child or children were born of the marriage.

A woman can also decide to keep the married name in a divorce and then later change it back, but that would require the filing of a separate petition to restore her last name.