Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

How do I legally give my house to my boyfriend.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Do you own the house in full or is there still a mortgage? Do you want to give him complete ownership or just a partial interest? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a mortgage, and would like to put it in his name.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

If you have a mortgage, there are two separate documents that you may want to consider.

.

As to the mortgage, you cannot simply "put it in his name". To add his name to the mortgage, you would need to complete a refinancing of the loan. This could be accomplished either with your current lender or with a new lender. Either way, he would need to provide his personal information for a credit check to determine whether they consider him worthy of being on the loan. Assuming you would remain on the loan either way, my speculation is that he would be approved.

.

The other document is the deed. If you want to clearly establish that he has a legal interest in the property, you could fill out a quit claim deed. This document would be filed with the clerk of the court and would give him an equal interest in the home.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what if I want to just put the house in his name and I will be financially responsible. I just want the house in his name. I will still make the payments.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Giving him the house does not eliminate your responsibility on the mortgage. If you want him to be responsible for the mortgage, he would need to put that in his name as well.

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How would I go about giving him the house, would I need to have certain documents notorized

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

The quit claim deed that I detailed above would accomplish that goal. You can get one from your clerk of court, just fill it out, sign and notarize it and then give it back to the clerk.

.
.
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So doing the quit claim He will own the house and I will be responsible for the mortgage left on the house. Thank you for your time and patience with me. I appreciate your answers thank you I will do that on Monday.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

That's correct, the quit claim provides him ownership and you would still be responsible for the mortgage.

.
.
.
.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law