Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I would like to know if I would have to be vested in order

I would like to know if I would have to be vested in order to draw disability from the Union. I have been approved for disability from Social Security due to COPD and both knees in bad shape and needing replaced. I have four years of a five year vested retirement. Have paid in over $26000.00 in retirement. Advised today by the Union that I cannot receive my retirement and cannot draw disability from the Union since I am not fully vested.

Thelawman2 :

Your union disability benefits are outlined in your summary plan that you should have received when you first joined the Union. It is the contract which states how the Union will pay disability. Many unions do require a vesting period before a person is eligible to draw disability, and five years would correspond to federal law. However, you would need to look at your actual Union plan to make sure that is what it says. I would suggest taking your contract to a local attorney who can quickly review it for you. It should take them only 30 minutes to tell you how your disability eligibility

JACUSTOMER-c1phaqnf- :

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. IT WAS MY UNDERSTANDING YOUR SERVICES WERE FREE FOR THIRTY DAYS TRIAL PERIOD. PLEASE CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION. I AM HAVING FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AND DO NOT WISH TO CONTINUE WITH YOUR SERVICES.