TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

In California how long do i need to keep a persons personal

In California how long do i need to keep a persons personal belongings before i can get rid of them we never had a signed agreement on living at our house or anything just let a friend move in and it didnt work out now they are gone and they left all there stuff here how do i go about getting rid of there stuff?
Thank you for your question.

Was this person paying you rent?

How long have they been gone?

Do you know where they are now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

paying nothing for rent

they have been gone for a week

Thank you for your response.

Since you are not a landlord, this situation falls under the California law of bailment.

Under this law, since you had previously allowed the person's property to be left there while the person was there, but are not being paid for it, this only means that you had a duty to not be grossly negligent in handling the property.

The best thing to do in your situation is to send the person a certified letter and tell them that if they do not come and pick up their property within 30 days, then you can treat it as abandoned and either sell it or throw it away. This makes sure that you are protected from any claim that the person later brings that you converted their belongings.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,