How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33249
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a non-violent felony in 1982 in xx

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of a non-violent felony in 1982 in xx. Placed on probation and restitution. Restitution was dropped. I now live in xx and want to purchase a firearm.

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.
I read your facts and am very familiar with the subject. Is there a specific question I could assist you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The question was ask
There is no question there, just a statement of facts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Based on the question asked, I want to know if I can legally purchase a firearm in xx with a non-violent felony conviction 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, no. Leaving aside any xx laws that address the issue federal law makes it a crime for anyone convicted of a felony to purchase, own or possess a firearm anywhere in the United States. There is some language that indicates an antique firearm or a black powder firearm would be permissible but not a modern firearm of any type. The federal law does not make a distinction between violent and non-violent felonies. It is a conviction of any crime which could have (as opposed to did) resulted in a sentence of more than one year. I am truly sorry to give you what I am sure is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and very unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an completely honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. Please remember to rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not upon whether the answer was good news or bad news since I have no control over whether the law is in your favor or not.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All of the talk now and before by the president and senators relates to Mentally ill or violent crimes being committed to bar a person from gun owner ship. It is legal by law for me to own a weapon in xx State and in xx. Take another look to make sure that your reply is correct.

I am absolutely sure of my answer. The law of many states allows for felons to own weapons but not federal law which preempts state law.
The statute 18 is U.S.C. 222 (g)(1).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If a person is convicted of a non-violent crime and his/her citizenship is fully restored, are you telling me that this means nothing under federal law.
If you have 1) had your conviction expunged or been pardoned and 2) your rights were restored then you no longer have a felony conviction and would be able to own a gun under federal law.
If you are still considered to have a conviction then you absolutely cannot own a gun under federal law without being guilty of a crime, regardless of what state law says.
I'll have another expert take a look and see if they agree or not, but I am 100% sure of my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Final question, how can I check to see if I still have a conviction?
You could ask a gun dealer to run a check to see if you are barred but the only way to know for sure is to go back to the court where you were originally convicted and see if there is anything there that shows the conviction was reversed. That could would be the only one with jurisdiction to do so.
Dwayne B. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you