How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25364
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning My son had two felony charges at the age of

This answer was rated:

Good morning
My son had two felony charges at the age of 18 , he is now 28 have not had any trouble since. We live in Florida . It has been 10 years since . One charge the was no case filed by the district atourney . The other charge was selling stolen property's through a pawnbroker , his case was adjuicated . He had probation period .
What happens to these charges do they stay on for life . What can he do to have them not show up as it is affecting is ability to get decent paying jobs ?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern for your son. Since the one charge was never filed by the State, he could always try and petition the court to expunge or seal that, so it does not appear on his record. If he was arrested but never charged, it is possible for the arrest itself, to not been seen by the public. However, the problem that he runs into is on the second charge, where he was adjudicated. If a defendant is adjudicated ( i.e. convicted), the State of Florida does not allow for an expungement. Only when the State of Florida withholds adjudication, is a defendant eligible for expungement. If he was a first time offender and only placed on probation, it seems odd that the State would have sought to adjudicate at that time, instead of withholding adjudication. In addition, I have provided you a link to the FDLE website, that addresses the issue of expungement and the process, for his review.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Adjudication was withheld , so he can have his case expunged ?
How long does the process take ? Can his case be sealed at this time or dies he have to wait for years ?
Thank you for the additional information. Yes, if adjudication was withheld, then he can have it expunged. You said he was adjudicated, which is why I thought he was convicted. The process can take 2-3 months, just because of the paperwork that needs to be filed and the review process. He does not have to wait for years and needs to go through the expungement process so potential employers will not see this.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you