How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question

RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10266
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son in not yet 1 year old. Can i change his last name in

Resolved Question:

My son in not yet 1 year old. Can i change his last name in the state of New Mexico without going through the courts? What process do I need to follow?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

Even though your child is under a year old, you must still go through the courts in order to change his last name. It requires the filing of a petition, and notification to the other parent. Here is the basic process:

1) An adult parent or guardian, filing on behalf of a minor (person younger than fourteen (14) years of age), who wishes, for good cause shown, to change the minor's name must file an application in the District Court of the minor's county of residence. Contact the Clerk of Court/District Court in the county where you live -they likely have a petition that you can purchase with the forms if you wish to do this yourself.


2) The Verified Petition includes personal information as required by statute, such as the Adult Petitioner's name, the Minor's Name, the new name that the Petitioner wishes the Minor to adopt and the reasons for the request for change of name.

Filing fees can vary by County, but the Clerk of Court should be able to tell you what the fee is.


3) After filing the Verified Petition and paying the required filing fee for such, the Court will typically assign your case to a judge. Thereafter, you, as Petitioner, will formally request a hearing date to be set (in usually thirty days) by filing the Request for a Hearing. Again, talk to the Clerk of Court when you turn in your petition - they can assist you with setting a hearing.


4) During this interim, the Petitioner must publish a notice of the requested name change. The notice must be published in a newspaper in the county where the Minor resides. The notice is to be published at least once each week for two consecutive weeks. If there is no newspaper published in the county where the Minor resides, then said notice shall be published in a newspaper printed in a county nearest to the residence of the Minor, and having a circulation in the county where the Minor resides.

Direct service must also be provided to all adults who retain legal rights over the Minor (typically the other legal parent if the action is only filed by one parent). If you cannot locate one of these parties, you must be prepared to explain your efforts and the situation to the court.


5) The publication and service requirements must be completed before the court hearing. After publication is complete, you must submit proof of publication to the clerk of the Court. This is accomplished by filing an affidavit, or some proof of publication provided by the newspaper, verifying the publication. The proof should be attached to a copy of the published notice and filed with the clerk. Likewise, Affidavits proving service to each adult served should be attached.


6) At the hearing, the Court may take evidence from all interested parties. The Court may grant or refuse the requested change of name. If the court finds that there is no reasonable objection to the name change, then they will grant the change and sign an order allowing for the name change.
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10266
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
RobertJDFL and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.