Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have some question about conviction. Last 5 years I charged

Customer Question

I have some question about conviction. Last 5 years I charged brandishing firearm and that case was dismissed but FBI have that case record. Now I want to buy 1 silencer and gun dealer said that they check my background and it takes 6 months. I want to know only this that did I convicted any crime or not my that charge was dismissed but I want to know that did I convicted or not.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the case was dismissed against you, then you would not be convicted. Dismissed means not convicted and it means it was not prosecuted. If you were not convicted and the case was dismissed, you can file a motion for expungement in the court to have the case removed from your record.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but from which record state police don't have any record only FBI have record because they have my fingerprints if you want to check your any arrest record you can send your fingerprints to FBI and they can send you your all arrest record. Expungement is for state police only not for FBI and my state police record is clear thats why I approved buying firearm.

That is not true particularly. When you obtain an expungement a copy of the court expungement order is sent to the FBI as well as State and local police.

Not only that, if your case is dismissed, the FBI does not deny someone just because they have an arrest record, they must have been convicted to be denied the right to purchase a weapon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what to say but the police who arrested me has no record and state police also has no record only and only FBI have my record only FBI.

The FBI should only have a record of an arrest, not conviction. In your motion for expungement you ask the court to have it removed from state records, they cannot order the FBI to remove, but you would send a copy of the court ordered expungement to the FBI records room and they have the choice to remove it or just note in their records that it was expunged by the state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Peoples who convicted crime can expunged there records but I was only arrested and after that case was dismissed I was not convicted crime I am telling you about record only record I also know laws. I own firearam because State Police does not have any my record so gunowner said that your state police record is clear so now you able to buy gun. But this next matter is to buy silencer and to buy silencer gun dealer takes your fingerprints and gave to FBI not to state police or local police.

Thank you for your reply. That is an untrue statement that people who are convicted can expunge their crime and you cannot. The FBI treats an expungement request the same, when they receive an expungement, if it was expunging the conviction they remove the conviction, but not necessarily the record from the computer because there is no federal expungement law. Similarly, when they receive an expungement notice on a dismissed case where there is no conviction, they note the expungement in their computer.

However, regardless of their record keeping, a dismissal does not prevent you from purchasing a firearm or silencer, it is simply not under the law as a reason for denial. A conviction is grounds under the law for a denial.

You can also rectify this and make it easier for you despite the record of a dismissed case, which is not a statutory bar to you making this purchase, and that is to form what is called a Gun Trust, and purchase the silencer and all of your weapons in the name of the gun trust and not your personal name. Sample Gun Trust, which will work in Texas as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FBI computer has my record when I send my fingerprints to FBI they verified my fingerprints and send all arrest records in my address. I have gun now only now I want to buy silencer and I don't know that to buy silencer they takes 6 months to process the application and they said that they check national background from FBI and from other 2 agencies.

Thank you for your response.

I believe we are talking about two different things. Yes, the FBI has your arrest record, so what, that is not what prevents you from making a firearm purchase. A conviction is what prevents you so your record in the FBI computer of a dismissed case does not cause a denial. As far as buying a silencer, there is a 3-6 month wait for issuing of the permit for the silencer, it is not like buying a gun, they have the permit process for the silencer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So do they approve my silencer application or not after seeing my arrest record from FBI do they approve the silencer application or not. And what is nolo contendere when I was arrested the court gives 12 months probation and after 12 months probations court dismissed the case but what is nolo contendere.

Yes, they should approve your application, again, as an arrest is not a conviction and only a conviction counts. Once the case was dismissed, even though it was a deferred adjudication (which is what you just described), the case counts as a non-conviction, it is a dismissal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what is nolo contendere.

Thank you for your new question.

Nolo contendere, means no contest. It is a plea used that does not admit guilt. It is used in deferred sentences and since you did not admit guilt, the court can dismiss the charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And what is class 1 Misdemeanor

Thank you for your new question.

A class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by not more than 1 year in jail.

In order to be prohibited from purchasing a firearm or silencer you have to be convicted of a felony, which is a crime for which you can be sentenced to more than 12 months in prison.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the arrest warrant I saw the charge was Brandishing Firearm and the class was 1 Misdemeanor but that case was dismissed and solo contendere.

Thank you for your response.

We are starting to get a bit repetitive, so I do not know what may not be getting communicated. I also do not know what your question is. You were charged with the brandishing, it was a misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months in jail and it was dismissed as part of a "deferred sentence" where you did not commit any violations in 12 months and the court never entered a finding of guilt against you and dismissed the case, so it does not count for anything against you with the state or the FBI and it qualifies for expungement in the state.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello sir I have 1 problem you know I have handgun permit and have handgun but my parents said if you bring any firearm in our home than we call 911 and through you out from our home so I need help.

Thank you for your new question.

While you have a handgun permit and carry it wherever permissible by law, if the house is your parent's house they have a legal right to forbid you from coming into their home with a firearm, even if you have a permit.

It is their private residence and you have to honor the owner of the private residence's wishes whether you have a carry permit or not. Thus, it is well within your parent's rights to tell you this and they can call the police and have you thrown out or even arrested for trespassing for coming onto their property with your gun after being told not to do so and for refusing to leave.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What kind of lawyer you are lawyer job is to protect there client and you said that they have rights to through me out from home I am also the member of that home they are my parents this home is also my home they didn't adopted me so this is only there home not my. This is my home also not there and if they don't respect me and call 911 than I also do something with them to insult me and call 911. How many years experience you have I am also studying law the home is under there name but I also live in that home and I also give county tax they are not the governor or congress who do anything.

Thank you for your response.

If you are an adult and your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed, you have no such rights you think you have. I am NOT your attorney, and I am NOT your parent's attorney, I am not taking sides against either party. I am merely objectively informing you of the laws.

I also do not need to be insulted and spoken to in such an unprofessional manner as you are now doing for merely telling you that the law says if they are the owners of the home listed on the deed they do have more rights than you do visiting their home and if your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed they have the right to insist you not bring a gun onto their property. If you are residing in their home, but not on the deed, they can actually have you evicted from the property, unless you have a written lease with them.

For your information I have been practicing law for almost 30 years and in that 30 years I have not only worked as a prosecutor, but as a defense attorney and I have seen people with the attitude you have just displayed in your answer ruin their lives and end up with an actual criminal record and not a deferred sentence, because they wanted to be argumentative with the court and the attorneys trying to help them.

Please understand, first off, you never told me you actually lived in the house and I know nothing about your living situation other than what you tell me. However, I am just trying to provide you the benefit of that experience and exactly what I have seen happen in the actual court rooms and not in books as you are studying. You are heading down the wrong path in acting in this manner unless your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed of the house.

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed to the property, then they cannot prevent you from bringing the gun into the property, because you are considered a joint tenant owner of the property. This would be the only way that you would be able to bring your gun onto the property, even if you live there, because you live there at their pleasure as an adult whose name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed and they have legal rights to evict you even if you pay the property taxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have other question that do I able to file a lawsuit against judge because 1 judge help 1 party. The story is this that last year I had an accident in highway and after accident we call 911 and sheriff belief other person words and gave me improper lane changed ticket without seeing with his own eyes he belief other person words not my and when I requested to show or bring any witness prosecutor bring that same person as witness who I had accident. And judge belief that person words who I had an accident he didn't belief my words and said you feel guilty. In law I study that n court accept that person as witness who you have accident with but prosecutor bring that person who I had an accident as witness and that blody bastard judge belief that person words not my.

Thank you for your new question.

In Texas, as in most all states, judges are granted statutory immunity from lawsuits when in performance of their duties of judge. Police officers in Texas also have the same immunity when performing the duties of their job.

While in your study of law, you need to look up absolute immunity as well as qualified immunity, which are the two immunities that apply to judges, DA's and police in performance of their duties.

Your recourse in the case you mentioned was that you had 10 days to file a notice of appeal in the traffic court and 30 days to file an appeal to the circuit court to have your case heard in that court and argue that the prosecution did not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, which is the standard that they have to prove their case by.

When it comes to witness testimony, the judge is the sole determiner of witness credibility and unless you appealed timely as I mentioned above, it is now too late to challenge this matter. A complaint about a judge's ruling in a case is handled not by suing the judge but through the appeal process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to appeal the case so what forms I need to appeal I talked with circuit court clerk also but they said we don't know what forms you need to appeal. So I need help and I am in VA.

In order to appeal, you need to file a "Notice of Appeal" within 10 days of the judge entering the judgment against you and you file that in the court where the case was heard. Then you have to file your "Appeal Petition" in the circuit court within 30 days of the date the ruling was entered against you.

These forms are not available online, you have to go to the court library (not clerk) and ask for the form books and in those books they have templates of the forms you need to file.

In your Appeal Petition/Brief, you have to list your issues on appeal and the case law supporting your position regarding those issues and why the case should be vacated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excuse me Sir do I able to make a complaint of 1 police officer because he did fraud with me.

Thank you for your new question. If he has "made a fraud" on you the only recourse is filing a complaint with the police department's internal affairs division who investigates these matters for the department, but in order to sue him because of his qualified immunity you have to prove they were grossly negligent and committed a violation of law and if you can prove that then you can sue him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not suing I want to make a complaint to his officer that he did fraud with me without seeing with his own eye he gave me ticket and believe other person words who I had an accident and became judge himself he tick mark in the ticket that don't come in court pay ticket fee to court clerk by calling that number and he inform my and other person insurance companies that I did that accident because I gave him ticket.

Yes, you can file a complaint to the department's internal affairs division.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But this internal affairs division are in DC and I live in VA.

You would have to file the complaint against him with the department he works with. You would have to contact their internal affairs division.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just want to know that did any court accept under 21 years old person as witness or not.

Thank you for coming back with a new question.

Courts accept witnesses of all ages, as long as the courts find them intelligent enough and competent enough to testify. They have had 13 and 12 year olds testify. So yes, they will accept someone under 21 as a witness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think court need to accept expert witness who know everything but not that kind of witness who don't know anything who had no knowledge.

Thank you for your follow up.

I think you are very astute with your comment and the law is that they are supposed to exclude witnesses who have no knowledge about the case or the subject matter of the case. This is up to the court to be the "gatekeeper of the evidence" according to the US Supreme Court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I don't understand can you tell me clearly.

The court is supposed to review witnesses and prevent those from testifying who have no knowledge about the case, I cannot put it any simpler than that. That is the duty of the court when hearing a case, to make sure it excludes evidence that does not pertain to the case or is not first hand witness testimony.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir this time also ATF didn't gave the result of the silencer they said you can give us a call on this Dec and see if we can give you the result.

Thank you for your update.

With the government shutdown everything is delayed and these applications typically take 4-6 months for approval anyhow, so it is not unreasonable that they have not yet completed the application process. Legally there is nothing you can do to speed them up I am afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All gun dealers state police and lawyers said that ATF takes 4 or 6 months to complete the application but when I talked with ATF they said that now they are receiving millions of application so now it takes 9 months or more to complete the application.

Unfortunately, even lawyers cannot make ATF speed up their process and with the shutdown they will likely even take longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what thing silencer is when people buy that thing than it takes so long and its too hard but if you want to buy gun you can buy immediately. I don't know what thing is in silencer. Why it is so important why they use ATF.

The big deal with silencers is that they are primarily used for keeping guns quiet which is something that tends to be used for illegal purposes (not saying that is why you want it) and that is why ATF looks at these purchases carefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But now they are taking too much time to process the application I don't like them. All All State Police Gun Dealers said it takes only and only 4 or 6 months to process the application but now this ATF is taking longer than 6 months.

Thank you for your response.

Again, the government is shut down, this means it is going to take even longer. There is nothing the state police or anyone can do about the ATF process and while I understand your frustration, with ATF legally it takes them as long as it takes them and even a lawyer cannot make them move faster, so while I empathize with your complaints, I cannot tell you anything legal you can do to make them move faster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am scaring that ATF deny my application because FBI has my some arrest record. I was arrested 2 times and my both cases was closed but FBI have my those cases information. 1 I was charged by obtaining drugs by fraud, that case was dismissed 2. I was charged brandishing firearm that time they gave me 12 months probation than they dismissed the case. But when I sent my fingerprints to FBI to check my records they send my all arrest records to me so I am thinking that after seeing my all these arrest records and charges did ATF approve the silencer application or not.

Thank you for your response.

If the cases were not convictions, then you would not be denied for those. If it is not showing as a conviction this should not be the reason and they are just very slow I am afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are very slow and I am not convicted because I think if I am convicted than I am not able to buy the gun also.

Thank you for your response.

ATF is slow. If you have no convictions, then that does not stop you from getting the silencer. The delay is just because ATF takes forever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But after seeing my arrest records from FBI what ATF think that this guy was arrested 2 times than is it ok to approve the silencer application for him or not.

An arrest record does not count, a conviction record counts. They are looking for convictions which would be ground to deny you the permit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have my FBI record with my fingerprints and there its showing arrested or received 2005/09/20 Agency Police Department. Charge 1- Brandishing Firearm. That's it they are not showing anything like convicted conviction etc they are showing this.

Thank you for your response. You have mentioned this to me several times. Again, in order for ATF to hold i against you it has to be a conviction. I do keep saying that and you keep asking, they consider convictions not arrests as an arrest is not proof you actually did anything wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did FBI delete the record also because in that document I am seeing that, Because additions or deletions may be made any time. A new copy should be requested when needed for subsequent use.

The FBI might have deleted the record, I have no way of knowing that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir FBI is showing the charges but they are not showing this that the charges are dismissed or he is convicted they are showing only charges or the dates that's it so how ATF know that he is convicted or not because again FBI is showing the arrest dates and the charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

They do not rely on only the FBI record, they will see no disposition in the FBI record and then they would go to the state court where the case was held and they will get the court records from there to see what happened with the case. The fact the FBI record says nothing about a disposition does not matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is State Court do they not go to that Court where I went for hearing.

They go to the court where your case was held, whatever court that was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ohh than Sir they can get only 1 record because I was arreseted 2 times with 2 different charges but that court has my 1 charged record but not other charged. They have my Brandishing firearm charged record but not obtaining drugs by fraud record. I checked myself from that court.

Thank you for your response.

They can get whatever is on the court records, since those are your criminal history records. If a court does not have records of a charge then they cannot get the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the Brandishing Firearm arrest warrant its showing nolle proseque,12 months probation and charge dismissed. I do have a copy of that warrant.

Okay, so it was not considered a conviction for purposes of this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is everything ok because the charge is not good its class 1 misdeamenor but now it was dismissed.

If what you are saying is the case, then it is not considered as a prohibition to deny the permit.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sir I have 1 question that do I able to re-open that brandishing firearm case or not because I like to fight that case again because the charges which prosecutor made are all wrong so now I need to fight that case myself because now I know the law that time I don't know the law but now I know so I only need to know that do I able to re-open that case because without seeing or without having any witness proof and more sheriff arrested me and said that I tried to brandish the firearm.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your response.

I am afraid that you are not able to reopen the case, it happened too long ago and it is over and you are barred from having it reconsidered. I am sorry, but it is just too late and you should have fought it when it happened I am afraid.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sir first the case which was filed in the court was wrong and that time I had no knowledge of any laws that how to fight in court but now I know. That time prosecutor made charge themselves that sheriff arrested me because I tried to brandish firearm to my father and my father didn't said anything to sheriff he also had no mind. So 1 day I stayed in barred and other day they bailed me and they my family showed prosecutor and judge that I take medicines so by mistakenly I did this so they gave me 12 months probation and after 12 months they dismissed the case.But now I am thinking to re-open the case and fight myself with prosecutor that how they said that I tried to brandish firearm to my father did they saw me doing this did they have any proof did they have any witness did they have any video which showing doing me this etc.

I am sorry to hear that, but your time to have appealed is over and the law prevents you from re-opening the case. I would love to tell you differently, but I am afraid that legally you have no right to re-open the case and I wish I could tell you something better but I cannot tell you what you want to hear to make you feel better when the law says you cannot.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Excuse me sir in the warrant I am seeing one more thing there they tick mark in some words which showing this, And was TRIED and FOUND by me: facts sufficient to find guilt but defer adjudication/disposition and place accused on probation, section, 4.1-305, 18.2-57.3, 18.2-251 or 19.2-303.2. Costs imposed upon defendant.

What this mean.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Excuse me but we are done I can no longer help you for free and you have gone on for months without ever leaving any positive feedback and I cannot help you any longer. Good luck and I will open this to All other experts who may want to assist you. I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Sir I do have one question that do I able to sold flying toys here in USA.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your new question.

What type of flying toys are you talking about?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Helicopters, Air Planes.

Are you talking about remote control flying toys?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes.

There are no legal restrictions on selling these toys in the US and no special licenses are needed, so what information were you seeking about them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Nothing I want to sell remote control flying airplanes here in US but before selling them I just to need to verify that did we sold those toys here in US or not because I never saw or buy those toys here in US.

They sell remote control planes and helicopters in the US and they can be sold here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok but I never saw or buy these remote control planes and helicopters and never saw in any website or in any store or in any mall.

That does not mean they are illegal to sell here, it means perhaps there is no interest from customers or because perhaps nobody knows about them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I think nobody knows about them so now I can bring those from china to here and sold to customers in cheap price you can also buy from me I can give you my website address you can go there and see flying helicopters and planes and buy for your childrens.

There are very few prohibitions on sales of these types of toys, so it is likely you are correct that nobody knows about them. You should do just fine selling them online especially.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes I sell those toys only in online not outside but you can also buy it and see how they are they look like real airplane like continental airlines I can show you video. I am sure when people saw these videos than they can buy these airplanes and helicopters %100.

Thank you for your reply.

Well it sounds like they will sell well if you advertise them properly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Who will sell well if I advertise what do you mean.

The toys will sell well if you advertise them right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

How can I advertise I want to find some company who advertise my company.

You can advertise through using "Google ads" and you can contact Google for help. You could also get advertisement and help selling through Amazon.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I do need help my bloody bastard bank security officer informed my credit card company that I am not working and my credit card company closed my account so what I do how can I sue that bloody bastard guy or bank. I withdraw $21,000 from my credit card and deposit in my bank and that security officer asked that from where you get this money I said I withdraw from my credit card and opening new business from this money.

So I don't know what he did.

Thank you for your new question.

Did the bank security officer lie to the credit card company?