LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I would like to get an Indiana wholesale dealers license. If

I would like to get an Indiana wholesale dealers license. If I sell a car retail what is the law pertaining to this.what penalties would I face?
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 1 year ago.

LADYLAWYER : Hello!
LADYLAWYER : Are you asking what would happen if you sold a car retail now, with no license? Or what would happen if you had a wholesaler's license and then sold a car retail?
LADYLAWYER : As a wholesale dealer, you can sell to the public it is just a little more complicated. If you have a buyer then you would have to find a dealer which you sell the car to, who will in turn sell it to the customer for a agreed price. You pay the dealer a certain amount of agreed money before the transaction is final.
Customer:

that is what I am looking for is running my transactions through a dealer...possibly placing my cars on consignment through their retail car lot...

LADYLAWYER : The Indiana Administrative Regulayions do not impose specific sanctions against a wholesale dealer if they sell retail; however, it does allow numerous penalties as the Secretay of State sees fit. This can range from a fine, to stripping of your license, to criminal penalties.
LADYLAWYER : It is decided on a case-by-case basis.
LADYLAWYER : But going through a third-party dealer is fine and legal.
LADYLAWYER : *Regulations
Customer:

can I advertise my cars for sale on Craigslist or some other online resource? but just not complete the transaction have that done through a bonified dealer for retail

LADYLAWYER : if you have any further questions, I am happy to answe them!
LADYLAWYER : answer
LADYLAWYER : sorry, my keyboard is sticking
Customer:

its ok

LADYLAWYER : You can offer them that way as long as you list them through the third-party Dealer. In otherwords, you should not have your business name or address up there, but the Delaer's information should be there. You may list your phone number though.
Customer:

OK...I think that answers my question...thank you

LADYLAWYER : You are most welcome! Anything else I can help you with, please just let me know. I hope I have provided you with excellent service this evening and that your customer service rating will reflect that. Thank so much!
Customer:

it will

Customer:

g'night

LADYLAWYER : Have a lovely evening!
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts