LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

IVE BEEN MARRIED SINCE 1991 AND SEPERATED SINCE 1993, WANT

I'VE BEEN MARRIED SINCE 1991 AND SEPERATED SINCE 1993, WANT TO DIVORCE HUSBAND BUT CAN'T FIND HIM, BEEN SICK FOR MANY YEARS AND AM ON DISABILITY SO I CANNOT FIND LAWYER. LEGAL AID WON'T HELP ME UNTIL I FIND WHERE HE LIVES. DO NOT HAVE MONEY TO HIRE INVESTIGATOR. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? CAN I GET HIS SOCIAL SECURITY OR PART OF HIS PENSION IF I REMAIN MARRIED TO HIM?

LADYLAWYER : Hello,
LADYLAWYER : you are able to divorce your husband by publication if you cannot find him but you must make a "reasonable" effort to find him before the court will grant this.
LADYLAWYER : Divorce by publication, simply means that you take out an ad in the media (usually newspaper) to say you are divorcing.
LADYLAWYER : I am surprised Legal Aide would not be willing to help you with this. All that is required is an affidavit with the filing of the divorce papers to tell the court why you require a divorce by publication and what you have done to make a reasonable effort to find your ex. You are not required to hire a PI to make your efforts reasonable.
LADYLAWYER : Do you know his full name and date of birth? I can search around on some databases I have access to for you.
LADYLAWYER : Otherwise, ask Legal Aide about filing for divorce by publication. If they won't help you do that, you can file yourself. The courts make it very easy these days.
LADYLAWYER : This publication should help you if you end up having to self-file: http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/Pages/Manuals/DivorceGuide.pdf.
Customer:

yes his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth date 9/16/63 ss# XXXXX XXXXX i live in nj, and i believe he does too.thank you so much for helping,

LADYLAWYER : Thanks. Do you have his middle name? It is easier to search by a full name. Also, has he lived anywhere else besides NJ that you know of?