Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

In the state of PA, are you supposed to remove copies of photo

In the state of PA, are you supposed to remove copies of photo i.d. and social security cards from the personnel files after the I-9 forms are completed? I know you are supposed to keep the I-9 forms separate, but I was not sure the social security cards and photo i.d. copies needed to be removed and shredded as well. Please advise. Thanks

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The material supporting the I-9 should be kept with the I-9.

Upon completion of the I-9 form, the original identification materials supplied by the employee must be returned to the .employee. This is explicitly stated on the instructions for the I-9 form.

The I-9 instructions also state:

Employers may photocopy the identification materials presented by the employee. Photocopies must be retained and presented with the I-9 in case of inspection by DHS or other federal government agencies.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.