Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

I have been employed for 16 years with a major Mass based co

I have been employed for 16 years with a major Mass based co . I have won sales awards and national recognition for new product offering sales for schools .Within the past year have been targeted and reviewed negatively !If i attempt to stand my ground and question basis i am confronted with My immediate superior and mostr recently my HR mgr who does not work for the employee backs company for legal recourse .Emails from managers are
dismissive . As I do need this job and the past year has been a challenging one personally as my mother has Cancer and I am a parttime caretaker.I have communicated this with my superior numerous times with no feedback .What is my recourse at this juncture?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Employment in Massachusetts is at will. This means an employer can terminate an employee at any time for any legal reason. They do not need an excuse if they wish to dismiss you. It sounds like they are trying to manage you out of the company by finding some fault in your performance. This is done to avoid paying unemployment if they do terminate your employment. Termination for cause is one basis for denying unemployment benefits.

You should know that there are no legal protections for working in an oppressive company. From a legal perspective the law allows that employers can fire at will and Employees can leave at will. I know this does not help you in your situation.

Since you are apparently a good performer the motivation behind any termination would need to based on some other reason. It is against the law to terminate someone based on age (over 40), race gender, ethnicity, disability, national origin, religious belief. If you feel this is why you are being targeted you should be keeping notes as to clues surrounding the discrimination.

If you cannot find a logical reason why they would want to terminate your employment then you should look at the feedback critically and see if what is being asked is reasonable. If it is you may just need to comply. If it is not you will need to keep a record of this. I would recommend speaking to your supervisor face to face and then documenting the results of the meeting.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.