Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

how can I correctly plea not guilty in Truancy court? I

Customer Question

how can I correctly plea not guilty in Truancy court?

I have already and I wish to fight for the reasons. I am on full course to college for summer and a 4-year university. I was absent for more than 5 days in 6 months due to illness, family death, family emergency, and school work. 3 absences were obscene and were mistakes by a teacher who doesn't work in my area anymore. I want to fight with the argument that I did not necessarily 'skip' school with mal-intentions and my grades were never harmed. on the opposite i was able to turn my life around because of the time period and am awaiting acceptance to St. John University due to this case.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Do you have documentation of the illness from your doctor, the death and the emergency that led to the absences?

Have you made your first appearance yet?

Do you have your grade report to bring to the court?

Do you have proof of the mistakes by the teacher?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the case was opened feb 8th of 2012. attempts were made to reach my parents and my dad contacted but nothing else was done.

I was pulled out of class in February of this year to give me the mandatory court summon. I pleaded not guilty because my case was certainly different from everyone else in the room.

I have notes and school work for 3 of the days. I know 1 was error due to schedule change.

1, for unexcused on the 26 of Jan., I had actually turned in a doctors note. It was a day i had gone to the hospital to visit my family, his condition was hitting critical. But i don't understand why it wasn't taken. And I am not sure how to contact the hospital to receive some sort of proof.

The funeral was from Feb. 1 - 2nd. One day was more of a family reunion/mourn and I turned in notes for both days but none were documented as well.

I have 2 tardies that were accounted as complete absences.

and 2 which were mid-day absences i'm sure were errors due to minor set backs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have my transcript from that year as well as this year. will me mentioning how i haven't received truancy this year, how I'm going to graduate and that's were my whole life effort has been aimed towards affect anything? My father had a parent-teacher session around that time to see what was going on and all my teacher (Dr. Stanely Scott) a very dignified 40-years in teaching had to say about me were wonderful things, some that i didnt expect a teacher to notice. I took time and sat down awith my teachers around that time as well to explain my circumstances. how can I represent this information in court?

Thank you for your response.

In court, they work off of physical evidence, documentation. Thus, whatever you need to do, such as bringing in a copy of the death notice of your family member to prove the time period around the death, will be required to prove that part of your claims. Second, you need your doctor's notes to show when you were sick. Your grade reports are also important. Finally, speak to your teachers, get letters from each of them about how you have turned around and have become a good student (this together with your current attendance record will be very convincing to the court). Also, if you can ask one of your closest teachers to appear with you in court on the day of the hearing to testify, so the court can hear in person from the teachers about you.

The court does NOT want to convict you on these cases, they want any reason they can to simply continue the case until graduation and then dismiss the case against you. This is the ultimate goal on a case like this with the court and all you have to do is give them some reasonable documentation to back up your claims on your case.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! All of your words helped me and gave me confidnce to not change my plea along with the big crowd that did. I won by a 'fb post' partially haha but thank you! I knew what they wanted thanks to you.
GREAT, I am so glad to hear that. I am so glad to hear when our information is helpful.