ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

Customer Question

I have a NOTE at the bottom of Police Voluntary Statement Sheet:
"Any person who gives or causes to be given false information to any law inforcement officer with respect to the commission of any crime or incident, is guilty of a forth degree crime under the NJ Criminal Code of Justice (2C: 28-4).

Is this a valid formulation of the Law (formulations on internet differ). Does it apply, if a person is accused of stealing some piece of property (not of high monetary value, but important to the accuser/complainer), and the accused person denies to the police officer that he/she has this piece of property, but then the accused provides him/her-self irrefutable evidence that he/she had it while denying it to the police?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 3 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

The specific law says:

ScottyMacEsq :

2C:28-4. False reports to law enforcement authorities
a. Falsely incriminating another. A person who knowingly gives or causes to be given false information to any law enforcement officer with purpose to implicate another commits a crime of the fourth degree.

b. Fictitious reports. A person commits a disorderly persons offense if he:

(1) Reports or causes to be reported to law enforcement authorities an offense or other incident within their concern knowing that it did not occur; or

(2) Pretends to furnish or causes to be furnished such authorities with information relating to an offense or incident when he knows he has no information relating to such offense or incident.

ScottyMacEsq :

In any event, saying that you don't know anything about something when you do would not fall under any of these.

ScottyMacEsq :

While it's roughly a formulation of the law (in that it would cover most witness statements) it is not complete, because it does not cover your situation.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!