Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I hired a moving company August 23, 2012 and cancelled on 9/11/2012.

I hired a moving company August 23, 2012 and cancelled on 9/11/2012. I am due a refund of $200.00, but the moving company seems to be having trouble processing that refund. It has been 7 months now, and I keep going back and forth with this company to get my refund to no avail. I filed a complaint with the BBB in December of 2012 which did not help me at all and only served to aggravate the moving company. This upset them so much that I was told to either remove the comment or send a letter stating that I would remove the comment, in order to receive my refund. I was not their first BB complaint. I cancelled because of the bad reviews they had gotten on the internet. Threatening legal action did not phase them. All I get is the run-around with this company. What do I do now?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Since they won't simply pay you voluntarily, file a claim against them in small claims court. You can do this without a lawyer and it's a very simple process. This will give you the collection options and leverage you need. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!