TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I got a car 3 months ago in GA. I didnt have the credit so

I got a car 3 months ago in GA. I didnt have the credit so I co-singed but my ex is the primary. I traded in my car that I was able to put down 12,000 for the current car. My ex now has the car because it needed to be fixed, but because we broke up he wants to sell it. We both are on the title and I have never been late on a payment. If he sells the car can I ask for my 12,000 back since thats what I put down? Also can he sell the car with my name on the title and me showing proof that I am making the car payments and it was my old car that was the down payment?

Thank you for your question.

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX actual title as an owner, then he cannot transfer the title without your permission. You need to tell him that you will not agree to the transfer and it will be an illegal transfer unless he agrees to pay you back the money you put in.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also remember to kindly rate my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause any additional charges and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,