xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

I received a letter from the creditor stated they can request

I received a letter from the creditor stated they can request my name to be deleted from credit report if I pay the total amount before 4-8-13. other wise if I paid later date it will remain on my credit record as a paid collection account. It is true that they can delete my name from the credit report.
Creditor requested payment in full, payment must be in either cash, money order or cashier check and must be in their office before 4-8-13, along with the letter they sent me, , and today is 4-8-13, I do not have the time to sent them the money and the letter, is there other way I can offer them for the payment.
What do I need to do before I give them the payment.
Do I have any way to pay them without the interest charge.
Do I need any other document before I give them the payment.
Thank you
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What type of creditor account is it? Is it a credit card? Another type of creditor?

How old is the debt?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water bill from my old address

feb 2010

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Do you know an EXACT date that you could send them a check paying the amount in full?

Thanks
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Also, did you own the home? Or did you rent the home?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

before 4-8-2013

rent

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David.

When can you pay the debt in full---by what date?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

debt is 138.88 with interest charge of 41.13

I can pay it today

Thank you

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Thanks for all of the information.

If you can pay the debt today, then you should call the collector NOW and tell the collector that you will fax a letter TODAY that indicates that you will forward them the original fax with a certified check or money order that will go out in tomorrow's mail. MAKE SURE THAT YOU OBTAIN A FAX NUMBER SO THAT YOU CAN FAX A LETTER TODAY!

Below is a link to a sample letter that you may wish to FAX to the creditor TODAY! In the portion that indicates that you will pay the debt, indicate that you will do so today by putting a certified check/money order in the mail on tomorrow's date. Also, indicate that you will be sending the letter by certified mail, return receipt requested.

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/a/payfordelete.htm

As far as the interest, it is VERY doubtful that you will be able to get the creditor to agree to waive the interest. You can try to make that offer to the collection agency when you call them today, but my guess is that the interest won't be waive. It will be better to avoid having any negative mark being put on your credit report than it would be to have them mark your credit report as a paid collection account, especially if the interest is $41.13. It would cost you A LOT MORE to try to fight the interest, and you risk the collection agency as putting a negative mark as "paid collection account" on your credit history.

I hope you find this information useful.

It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. If you feel you have received anything less, please ask me follow up questions so that I can clarify my answer. If you are SATISFIED with my answer PLEASE RATE IT AS EXCELLENT or in another POSITIVE MANNER so that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you.

xavierjd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what will i need to do to make sure they will delete this account from credit report.

can i pay the creditor with credit card since the due day is before today

thank you

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

I am SO sorry for the delay. I was UNEXPECTEDLY called away.

If you call the collection agency, you can ask if you can pay by credit card. So long as the collection agency is set up to take credit cards, there should be no reason that you can't pay that way.

If you are allowed to pay by credit card, then you may wish to put a sentence in the letter that indicates that you paid by xxx credit card on 4-8-13. Moreover, if ANY negative remarks have been placed on your credit report as a result of this debt, it is the DUTY OF THE COLLECTION AGENCY to send a correspondence to the credit reporting agencies taking any negative remarks OFF of your report.

Moreover, after this is resolved, you may want to wait a week or two and then order a copy of your credit report from the 3 major credit reporting agencies.

xavierjd, Attorney
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Thank you SO much for the "good service" rating. It is greatly appreciated.

If you have further questions, you can specifically request me as the expert.

Thanks again, and best of luck,

xavierjd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can the creditor delete this account from the credit report if I pay them.

thank you

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. My computer crashed. I just got it back from being repaired.

The answer to your question is"yes." The creditor CAN make sure that either no negative rating is reported, or if a negative rating has been reported, that it is removed. You must make sure that the creditor sends a letter asking that any negative rating be removed. You can then follow up with the credit reporting agencies to make sure that your credit report has been restored.

If you paid the entire amount by the date set by the collection agency, or by another date that both of you agreed to, then, EPROM the information you provided I n your previous posts, no negative rating would have been, or will be reported.

It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. If you feel that you have received less, pleas ask follow up questions. If you are SATISFIED with the answer, please rate it as EXCELLENT or in another POSITIVE MANNER.

Thank you.

Xavierjd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if I pay the full amount by another date that both of us agreed to, but not in writing only on an oral agreetment, can I trust them?

thank you

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

If you agreed to a different date, but ORALLY only, I WOULD NOT trust that the agreement will be enforced. You should follow up the oral agreement IN WRITING and direct the correspondence to the legal department, as well as to the person who you made the agreement with.

I am NOT saying that the collection agency isn't trustworthy. HOWEVER, when you don't have agreements put into writing (especially one as important as this), people tend not to remember that they agreed to the date, etc.

Again, direct the letter to the lawyer and person who you spoke with. You may wish to indicate that you spoke with xxx on xxx date, and that xxx agreed to the following terms:

1. On xxx date, I spoke to xxx person/lawyer, etc. That person (name) indicated that s/he had authority to enter into an agreement regarding file # XXXXX;

1. It was agreed between the parties that file # XXXXX to be paid in full by xxx date;

2. If file paid in full by xxx date, collection agency will either NOT report any negative remark to the credit reporting agencies, OR will WRITE a letter to the credit reporting agencies (with a copy of the letter to you) that removes any negative remarks.

3. That unless you receive documentation indicating anything contrary to the above, you will consider this agreement to be fully enforceable in (whatever your city, state is).

4. Include any other facts that you think are relevant to the settlement of the matter.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

xavierjd, Attorney
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Thank you so much for the "good service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd