Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Facebook Slander

Customer Question

I am making an inquiy for a friend of mind who is a Kind and caring person involved in the rescue of shelter dogs. She lives VERY modestly and acts in the capacity of a "dog foster" for many dog rescue organizations. I am a person who donates for many for many dogs in several high kill shelters in the southern states. Funds are raised through donors like me mainly on Facebook threads in the dog community. There are many others like me who donate. When a rescue sees that many people are pledging for a particular dog they often times offer to "rescue" the dog from a shelter (mostly in the south) where dogs are at serious risk of being put down. I have come to know this particular lady who is a foster, as she takes care of dogs for rescue organizations while they are waiting for transport to their rescue or until the rescue is equipped to take them. She nurtures them, feeds them, comforts them, provides basic medical care taking and often socializes them before they leave her care. She is sometimes involved in training. She has dedicated her life and home to this cause. She accepts a menial amount of money from each Rescue Organization for this service and let me make it perfectly clear that she is BARELY surviving with the fees she is charging. Quite often the local shelter itself will send dogs to her and pay her to care for them for various reasons. Recently I have watched a women (who acts as a fund raiser for lack of a better term, who contacts donors on facebook alerting them to a certain dog who is in danger) systematically destroy this woman's character and reputation. She threatens the Rescues by saying that if they send their dogs to her to be cared for that 6, 7 or 8 etc. donors will not honor their pledges so she has effectively cut of all means of income to this poor woman because rescues cannot afford to lose their pledges. Some of them are for profit and others are not, but in either event, they need the money of donors to pay for medical expenses and fostering. She has falsely accused her of being an animal hoarder which is untrue (she has never been to the womans home as she lives in New England and this woman lives in the far south. She has never in fact met her. she says her home is filthy and this is untrue. Anyone who has met her or seen her care for animals can attest to the superior care the dogs receive. This lady essentially runs a not for profit organization and is not equipped to hire legal counsel and I am attempting to find out if she has a legal case. This woman has destroyed her livelihood and reputation and has actually harmed animals who would have otherwise been rescued by rescue organizations because they could not find anyone to foster and were scared off by this slanderous person. This poor woman goes to bed at night crying herself to sleep. I am finding it difficult to stand by and watch this bullying continue. Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated. This slander is reported daily to this poor woman either in the form of copies of Facebook personal messages or from people in the rescue community calling her to let her know. She prays on innocent donors and tells them untrue things about her... She obviously does not like this woman and is controlling the flow of dollars in this dog rescue community. This slanderous person has also been investigated by the shelter itself for causing trouble previously.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. I hope you don't mind if I first take a moment to try to clarify what the actual concerns of slander are. Is it your claim that her accusations of being an animal hoarder and having a filthy home are slander?

It would also be helpful to know:
a. What state does your friend live in, and
b. What state does the poster live in?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is my claim that these statements are slanderous. The woman who is making these slanderous statements lives in new Hampshire according to her Facebook page and the woman who is being harmed lives in South Carolina. Please do not publish this on the internet as this slanderer spends her days trolling the internet and I so not want to cause any further trouble for this friend of mine. She is emotionally destroyed by this situation. I would like to add that this woman went so far as to call the animal control board who followed up on the complaint to find nothing wrong at the property.

Thank you for the follow-up. It is important to realize that JustAnswer is a public forum. Given that fact, would you like to continue with this thread?

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will reach out to my friend. Will you publish all of the information i have shared with you? States that people live in etc...

That information is automatically published out there. This is why the disclaimer says "JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege."

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do.

Thank you

You are welcome. Don't reply until you're ready.
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you still seek the assistance of JustAnswer?

Let me know,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you but the person for whom I was asking is very afraid of a public posting of this question, so we will not be moving forward with your services. I'm certain you would have been able to help her, but she has been been put through the wringer due to a public media site. I have contacted an attorney in her state who is able to keep the matter confidential. Thank you kindly. Please refund my money if my card has been charged,