TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

can a lawyer represent his girlfriend in court? what are general

can a lawyer represent his girlfriend in court? what are general relevant guideline for representing clients? can he do it free of charge? thank you

Thank you for your questions.

The lawyer is not prohibited from representing a girlfriend, although the relationship does place the lawyer in a place where there could be ethical questions of concern and potential for abuse.

Further, there is no rule stating that a lawyer cannot represent the girlfriend free of charge. It is allowable, although the lawyer must exercise care not to abuse the professional relationship.

If the lawyer, for instance, decides to hurt the client because she broke up with him, this could get him into professional trouble.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further working together on your questions.

Best Regards,