Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I filed my tax return in 2010 and 2011, claiming my one dependent.

Customer Question

I filed my tax return in 2010 and 2011, claiming my one dependent. The IRS notified me that her ss# XXXXX already been used and then reject the child credit claiming she is over 13 years old. I have confirm the ss# XXXXX XXXXX and have sent the documentation that she is under 13 and that no one but me is supposed to claim her. I can not get the IRS to answer who is claiming her, they are claiming privacy laws. I have submitted court orders to release the information and still nothing. Is there another way to get this information? My fear is that her identiy has been stolen, or my ex wife is using her as a deduction which is against our custody agreement.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Have you sent a subpoena to the IRS?

JACUSTOMER-g0lp1t80- : Yes, they aren't responding and have sent a bill suggesting a lein on my property with a proper resolution
JACUSTOMER-g0lp1t80- : Without a proper resolution
JD 1992 :

The first thing to do is go through the appeal process with them if you haven't done so already.

JD 1992 :

You can also try a back door approach that we use a lot by contacting the office of your US Representative. They are often very helpful and can assist you in working through any problems.

JD 1992 :

It is my impression that when a congressman gets involved then the matter is switched to a different unit and they are much easier to deal with than the front line people.

JD 1992 :

The IRS also has some additional information on appeals at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Appeals...-Resolving-Tax-Disputes

JD 1992 :

Are you there?

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will save and exit so I can assist others. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I will be online most of the day but it may take a little while for me to answer if I am assisting others.

JACUSTOMER-g0lp1t80- : Did you forward this info to my email?
JD 1992 :

No, I can't do anything other than post in this thread.

JD 1992 :

Once the question is rated then it will change formats and you can print the thread or bookmark it. I can also ask the moderators if they can email it to you if you would like for me to.