TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a bar in a small village 120 people. I went

I have a bar in a small village 120 people. I went to the council meeting to get a 3am close instead of a 2am,they turned me down. Now with that being said the village mayor is all for it......He is also the local liquor commissioner.........So my question is this, can the mayor veto that vote and give me the 3am by himself ? Thank You!!! xxx

Thank you for your question.
Unfortunately, this would not be permissible. A Mayor's power to veto an act proposed by the council only extends to say "no" to the council's proposition. The Mayor's veto power does not give him the power to say "instead of what you are proposing, we are going to do______" and then to do it. The actual act must be approved by the council.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further working together on your questions.
Best Regards,