JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

I am a NJ resident and will be moving to Europe for a year

I am a NJ resident and will be moving to Europe for a year or more for work related contract. Can I grant my brother in law power attorney to my leased car? I would like to retain the car lease but grant my brother in law the power of attorney or anything related to the car (including lease, moving the car to CA, etc.)
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Congratulations on your move to Europe! That must be very exciting.

With respect to your leased car, who will be responsible for making the lease payments while you're away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be making the payments since I am retaining the car lease

Thank you. Will the lease end while you are in Europe?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know yet. My contract is a year initially which means I will be back before lease ends, otherwise it may be extended for a few months at a time. However the initial assumption is that its one year

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify...also in addition to what I previously mentioned (that I should be back before lease ends at least the initial assumption is that)... i want to grant my brother in law the right to sell/transfer the lease if needed or if he can find a buyer at some point later.

Thank you. A power of attorney allows another person to act on your behalf. Yes, you can have a local attorney draw up a power of attorney for you which limits your brother-in-law to act on your behalf with respect to the car (e.g., allowing him to move it out-of-state and having it registered in your name, changing insurance carriers, if necessary, return the car at the end of the lease, etc.). If he will be driving the car, while you are away, you will want to contact your insurance company and make sure that he's also named as an additional insured on the car.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.