Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.

Hello--my husband has decided that our marriage is over and

Hello--my husband has decided that our marriage is over and is extremely angry. He is placing all the blame on me. I am afraid for the safety of myself and my two small children, as he has been physically abusive in the past. He recently went through an alchol rehab and is being medicated for depression and anxiety. He is threatening to reroute his paychecks to leave me with the mortgage and bills. I have no support or place to go. My family lives in Illinois. Can I take my kids there for a week as it is my son's springbreak until things settle? My husband said he would report a kidnapping. Are there any steps I can take to legally protect myself? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

As long as there is no court order requiring the kids to remain in New Jersey, as the legal parent (mother) of the children you may take them anywhere without repercussion. Absent a court order to the contrary a legal parent may travel with their children to any location where it is legal for their children to be.

Nothing stops your husband from reporting kidnapping but nothing would become of it. Just to be safe from an irrational spouse, take a copy of the children's birth certificate with you. It will show you as the mother of the children.

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.