Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I am trying to find out if one can file a citizens complaint

I am trying to find out if one can file a citizens complaint against an individual for personal wrong-doing. The incident happened in Washington DC though I am a resident in the State of MD. Someone told me that he heard that this type of citizens complaint (he is not an attorney)is not permissable in D.C. In fact I have being searching on line for an answer and all I could find is information on how to file a citizen's complaint against DC police, amongst other organizations, i.e. the DOJ, etc.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

At this point it would be difficult to file criminal charges. When an assault occurs the police should have been involved immediately. If you have witnesses you can still complete a police report.

You also have the option of filing a civil suit. A civil suit is about getting compensation (money damages) for the injury including pain and suffering. You can also get money for property injury e.g. cleaning costs. You have complete control over filing the suit.

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for an answer. Yes there were witnesses. Police did become involved since there were others involved but I was just a bystander minding my own business. But my question was can I file this complaint and/or civil suit in Washington DC? Someone told me that it is not permissable to file this type of individual suit in DC. and this occurance happened at a bar in DC, (but I live in MD).

Thank you.

You can file a civil action in the D.C. Superior Court Civil Division. Here is a link to their website: http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/superior/org_civil/main.jsf From that site:

The Civil Division has jurisdiction over any civil action or action in equity (e.g. temporary restraining orders) brought in the District of Columbia, except when the federal court has exclusive jurisdiction